Author Topic: Isn't this site about APRONYMS not ACRONYMS  (Read 7394 times)

Jon Barker

Isn't this site about APRONYMS not ACRONYMS
« on: November 10, 2004, 02:19:46 PM »
Angela et al
Wrongly posted my first effort on the 'about this' thread so proving my total newness and ignorance about forums!
Here is my 'message' (mainly excessive silly stories about ghastly events):
===============================================
Angela - I haven't laughed so much for ages - loved (truly) your only slightly bizarre webpages esp the story about your lime coloured MAC from Steve!

May I try my first hand at an apronym (all purpose oxymoron name you make!) I read you have several 'pot'(s) already but here's a new one: POT = piece of terracotta!!

Hope you like it 'cos I love wordplay and am happy to 'waste' time another (too) late night to make up some more. (MORE = mainly 'orizontal rainy expanse)! My spelling's orefull!
Best... Jon (Reading, Berks. UK)

Angela

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 09:10:35 PM »
Welcome to the forums, Jon!

I'm glad you like the site. The iBook story could do with an update actually, because in June this year I actually met Steve and got to play with a few of his fourteen SEGWAYS (Scooters Employing Gyroscopes Will Assure Your Stability.) That slightly bizarre story is currently at http://travelling.macintosh.geek.nz/log.php?ID=travel&page=7, though I really need to fix up that site a bit now that I'm back home.

I noticed you capitalised MAC, APRONYMS and ACRONYMS. We have a rule around here, variously known as either rule pi+3i or rule ei+ei+0 of the Acronymists' Charter, which says that IF YOU PUT A WORD IN CAPS YOU MUST ACRONYMISE IT. See http://www.co.nz/cgi/forums/list.cgi?id=acronyms&user=&session=&root=1006583985

I'm not sure what you mean by your MORE, are you referring to making expansions as a pastime while lying back on a rainy day?

I guess your subject is referring to the fact that parts of these forums refer to the acronyms forums while other parts say apronyms forums. The site started out as acronyms.co.nz, years before Tony invented the term apronym on the thread at http://www.co.nz/cgi/forums/list.cgi?id=acronyms&user=&session=&root=1044419774. So in many places our creations are referred to merely as acronyms -- which is entirely correct, just not very specific. We mainly discuss apronyms here but discussion of ordinary acronyms or even completely unrelated forms of wordplay is welcome.

Tony

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 01:31:28 AM »
Angela wrote:

> I noticed you capitalised MAC, APRONYMS and ACRONYMS.
> We have a rule around here, variously known as either rule pi+3i or rule ei+ei+0 of the Acronymists' Charter,
> which says that IF YOU PUT A WORD IN CAPS YOU MUST ACRONYMISE IT.
> See http://www.co.nz/cgi/forums/list.cgi?id=acronyms&user=&session=&root=1006583985

I think Angela just committed a foul!!!
In chastising the newbie you capitalized - and you neither expanded nor pointed them towards a previously created valid expansion.

Nowhere in The Acronymists' Charter is there a waiver of the need to expand a capitalization. You could have typed --
-- I noticed you capitalised "mac", "apronyms" and "acronyms".

Do we need a new rule, or bye-law?
THE BYE-LAW
Take Heed - Exclude Believing Yourself Exempt :- Law Applies Whenever!!

Maybe - just maybe - we could allow that if one provides poinbters to already created expansions one could be deemed to be compliant.

PUC - PAC - PEC - POC - PIC
Pondering Upper Caseness? Proper Acronymists Citing Previously Executed Creations Proficiently Observe Charter's Pi-rule Isn't Circumvented.

Angela

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 12:38:12 PM »
Tony said:

Nowhere in The Acronymists' Charter is there a waiver of the need to expand a capitalization.

I say:
Yes there is, later in the aforementioned thread...

Cor. 1: Capitalisations for which an expansion is listed at acronyms.co.nz, or those which are of accidental nature, shall be excused from any variety of sanction.

(though there was further discussion on what was meant by 'accidental')

The way this is phrased actually excludes Jon from having to expand them either. I was hoping that he wouldn't notice, and I also propose a change to that corrollary saying that it only applies to words which the committer of the capital offense has expanded personally. But in the interests of goodwill:

MAC: My Ample/Apple Coat

I bought a raincoat (which turned out to be a bit too large) from the company store at the Apple campus in Cupertino. Later in my travels somebody pointed out that it was an Apple mac.

I might do the others later... right now I have to have lunch.

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 10:28:17 AM »
Is that a DECLENSION of some sort?

Dead in English, Commendably.  Latin Exists, Needing Some Inflection Of Nouns.

Jeff Anonymous, noting that <<PUC-PAC-PEC-POC-PIC>> looked like some sort of Latin declension, and that except for personal pronouns, case is basically gone fron English, and declension with it.

>>> On 10 November 2004 12:31:28 UTC, Tony wrote:
PUC - PAC - PEC - POC - PIC

Tony

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 11:25:16 AM »
 Jeff wrote:

> Is that a DECLENSION of some sort?

> Tony wrote:
>> PUC - PAC - PEC - POC - PIC

No.
Just an attempt at a new piece of nonsense to match the ei-ei-o, rule of pi creations.