Author Topic: IMAC  (Read 6667 times)

Jeff

IMAC
« on: November 16, 2004, 12:04:42 PM »
IMAC
It May Abridge Crashing

Jeff Anonymous, who ordered an iMac G5 (17" combo drive) last Tuesday.  It should ship by Thursday and will be replacing a Windows 98 PC that's freezing up a lot.

Angela

IMAC
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 09:48:08 PM »
Well, I'll be getting a PowerBook shortly before my hardware discounts expire on February 26th, so I'd better do that:

POWERBOOK
Plenty Of Width, Evading Reddish Blush Of Older Kneetop

My iBook's screen is decidedly pinkish until it's been on for a while, and I'm also looking forward to have a widescreen PowerBook after about six years of 800x600 resolution. It's okay for most things but using the developer tools requires a lot of shuffling around of windows, more than ever on Tiger. Exposé helps a lot though.

Jeff

IMAC
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 11:18:49 AM »
The 17" iMac is pretty good screenwise (I am using it right now), and I think it's the same LCD they put in the widescreen PowerBook.  There's no shortage of real estate.

>>> On 21 November 2004 08:48:08 UTC, Angela wrote:

Well, I'll be getting a PowerBook shortly before my hardware discounts expire on February 26th, so I'd better do that:

POWERBOOK
Plenty Of Width, Evading Reddish Blush Of Older Kneetop

My iBook's screen is decidedly pinkish until it's been on for a while, and I'm also looking forward to have a widescreen PowerBook after about six years of 800x600 resolution. It's okay for most things but using the developer tools requires a lot of shuffling around of windows, more than ever on Tiger. Exposé helps a lot though.

Angela

IMAC
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 12:15:49 PM »
Well, I guess that's the same LCD they put in the 17" PowerBook. I'm getting the 15", but I'm sure I'll be ecstatic with the space anyway... it's a big jump from 800x600.

Using Interface Builder on 800x600 can be pretty painful, when your app's window takes up the whole screen and you have to juggle that with the nib window, inspector and palettes. Then it all has to share screen space with XCode if you want to do some of the awesomely cool stuff introduced in Tiger which I'm not allowed to tell you about, which was greeted with wild applause every time it was demonstrated.

In 2006 I will finally have a different new-year's resolution from the one I've had since 1999.

Tony

IMAC
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 10:43:28 AM »
Angela wrote:

> Well, I guess that's the same LCD they put in

Let's Consider Deterrence!

Not expanding standard, everyday, capitalised stuff is as sinful as any other non-expansion. I note from the Apronyms site that there is not expansion yet done for this. Shame on you!