Author Topic: If you want an apronym created for you, please start a new thread  (Read 6961 times)

Angela Brett

If you want an apronym created for you, please start a new thread
« on: September 03, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
A lot of visitors to these forums come seeking help to create an apronym for their business, organisation, club, prize, sports team, product... all sorts of things. Most of the time forum regulars come up with some ideas for them. You can see the results of previous requests at http://apronyms.com/category.php?ID=1985028

If you need help creating an apronym, we can probably help... but there are a couple of things you should keep in mind to get the most out of this forum.

- Start a new thread, don't just tack another post onto an unrelated thread.
- Give the new thread a subject specific to the sort of apronym you want, e.g. 'Need apronym for stoat-massage company.' not just another 'Help me create an apronym' thread. That way it will be easier for people to find the thread later, and for casual readers to get an idea whether a thread might be interesting to read.
- Give as many details as you can about the thing you want an apronym about. The more we know, the more apronyms we'll be able to think of, and the more apt the apronyms will be. What does the team/product/whatever do? Who is it for? Where is it? Who is it made by? What are the most important concepts or words that should be mentioned in the apronym? What are the less important aspects which can be used to pad out the apronym if necessary? If it's the name of a person, what are the person's interests/habits/personality traits? A list of keywords can be useful, although experienced apronymists are quite good at finding words on their own, if they understand the subject well enough.
- Have a go at creating some yourself... there are some tips on how to create an apronym at http://apronyms.com/tips.html. Even if you can only manage half the apronym, somebody else might be able to finish it. If you think it will be great to have people tell you how clever the apronymic name for your product (or whatever it is) is, just imagine what it would be like to respond that you came up with some of it yourself!
- Don't just post once and leave us to throw ideas around not knowing whether anyone is reading them. Come back and comment on the suggestions, especially if you decide to use one of them. We like to feel appreciated, and the more feedback we get, the better the apronym can be.
- When there are more than a few responses to a request for help, a category is created at http://apronyms.com/category.php?ID=1985028 to list the responses. If you tell us the eventual name for whatever the item is (even if it's not an apronym) that makes it a lot easier to choose a name for the category.

Tony

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 11:30:33 AM »
If you do ask for assistance with a project please be kind enough to respond to any questions we may ask of you.
We are not a large group, nor are we geniuses - we need all the help you can give us if we are to assist you.
Don't just post a request for help and then sit back and wait for us to email you a solution. Check the forum now and again within a few days of asking.

Craig

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 11:38:49 PM »
Hi

I run a paper tissue company who supply products quickly and of the highest quality and service. I am currently considering the names Esfina, Sotis and Sinsia as a new brand name. If somebody can come up with a good acronym for these names then that might help me make up my mind. Any ideas anybody?