Author Topic: all 50 states  (Read 7658 times)

tavia bryant

all 50 states
« on: December 04, 2005, 09:13:09 AM »
i'd like to try to create an acronym for all 50 states. funny or serious

tavia bryant

all 50 states
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 09:35:52 AM »
A
L
A
B
A
M
A

A
L
A
S
K
A

A
R
I
Z
O
N
A

A
R
K
A
N
S
A
S

C
A
L
I
F
O
R
N
I
A

C
O
L
O
R
A
D
O

C
O
N
N
E
C
T
I
C
U
T

D
E
L
A
W
A
R
E

F
L
O
R
I
D
A

G
E
O
R
G
I
A

H
A
W
A
I
I

I
D
A
H
O

I
L
L
I
N
O
I
S

I
N
D
I
A
N
A

I
O
W
A

K
A
N
S
A
S

K
E
N
T
U
C
K
Y

L
O
U
I
S
I
A
N
A

M
A
I
N
E

M
A
R
Y
L
A
N
D

M
A
S
S
A
C
H
U
S
E
T
T
S

M
I
C
H
I
G
A
N

M
I
N
N
E
S
O
T
A

M
I
S
S
I
S
S
I
P
P
I

M
I
S
S
O
U
R
I

M
O
N
T
A
N
A

N
E
B
R
A
S
K
A

N
E
V
A
D
A

N
E
W
H
A
M
P
S
H
I
R
E

N
E
W
J
E
R
S
E
Y

N
E
W
M
E
X
I
C
O

N
E
W
Y
O
R
K

N
O
R
T
H
C
A
R
O
L
I
N
A

N
O
R
T
H
D
A
K
O
T
A

O
H
I
O

O
K
L
A
H
O
M
A

O
R
E
G
O
N

P
E
N
N
S
Y
L
V
A
N
I
A

R
H
O
D
E
I
S
L
A
N
D

S
O
U
T
H
C
A
R
O
L
I
N
A

S
O
U
T
H
D
A
K
O
T
A

T
E
N
N
E
S
S
E
E

T
E
X
A
S

U
T
A
H

V
E
R
M
O
N
T

V
I
R
G
I
N
I
A

W
A
S
H
I
N
G
T
O
N

W
E
S
T
V
I
R
G
I
N
I
A

W
I
S
C
O
N
S
I
N

W
Y
O
M
I
N
G

Tony

all 50 states
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 12:05:53 PM »
tavia bryant wrote:

>I'd like to try to create an acronym for all 50 states. funny or serious

Hiya tavia,

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of acronyms/apronyms!! You've set yourself a mighty challenge there. I'd offer one or two hints

a) Don't be too rigid in the ordering of the states within the acronym,
b) Play around with groups of letters within the names, you may hit a lucky patch and get a run which doesn't take them in a particular order.
c) If you really want them in an order which leps to make them memorable don't just rely on alphabetical, try the order they were founded in, or their size - either geographic or population, etc.,
d) If I knew enough about them I'd offer some immediate clues/assistance but as an Irishman I'll need to go looking into some details
e) Try to work in things people already know about them - state flower, capital or major towns/cities, rivers, mountains etc.,
f) Don't be afraid to ask us for help if you get stuck…

and most importantly
… persevere. If need be, put the acronym aside for a week or two, you may need to chew it over now and again - but if you do put it aside carry a notebook to write down any flashes of inspiration you get, I've lost numerous strokes of genius because I thought I'd remember them at the time!

Good luck.

Tony

all 50 states
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 11:01:20 PM »
tavia.

These occurred to me as I was trying to get to sleep last night. I had to get up and jot them down lest I lose them. I hope they're useful to you.

FLORIDA
Fun-Lovers Often Revel In Disney Attractions

ALASKA
Alban Landscape Amidst Snowy Klondike Area
('alba' is Latin for white, and I'm sure there's a better adjective based on the word, but I'm in bed and haven't got access to my books at the moment.)

ARIZONA
Arduous Resporation In Zone Of Ninetynine.nine% Aridity

HAWAII
Hulagirls And Wave-Action - Idyllic Islands

TEXAS
They Enthuse Xaggeratingly About Size!

MAINE
Mariners Abound In New England

Angela

all 50 states
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:49:46 PM »
Sorry, I'm too busy/preoccupied to come up with any right now (I have about 27 hours of flight ahead of me tomorrow so I just might have a chance for apronymising... but I don't know much about US states) however I thought I should mention that a lot of them have already been done, at http://apronyms.com/category.php?ID=1984698

I really need to review the latest apronym submissions and update the site... just the thing to prepare in-flight. :)

Do you want separate apronyms for each state or do you want them all in one? All in one would be a super-long, probably record-breaking apronym, the sort of thing Tony might try just to break my apronym length record. (See 'here's to the crazy ones...' on http://apronyms.com/category.php?ID=1984545)

Tony

all 50 states
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 09:22:06 AM »
Angela wrote:
> I thought I should mention that a lot of them have already been done, at
http://apronyms.com/category.php?ID=1984698

I'd forgotten about Jan's contributions, and Patty's. Not much left for a complete set.

Angela

all 50 states
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 07:22:56 PM »

>>> On 04 December 2005 10:01:20 UTC, Tony wrote:

ALASKA
Alban Landscape Amidst Snowy Klondike Area
('alba' is Latin for white, and I'm sure there's a better adjective based on the word, but I'm in bed and haven't got access to my books at the moment.)

Albino, perhaps?

Tony

all 50 states
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 04:15:23 AM »
Angela wrote:

>> Tony wrote:
>> ALASKA
>> Alban Landscape Amidst Snowy Klondike Area
>> ('alba' is Latin for white, and I'm sure there's a better adjective based on the word, but I'm in bed and haven't got access to my books at the moment.)

> Albino, perhaps?

Ha! Are there loads of pink eyes everywhere?

Angela

all 50 states
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 02:44:38 PM »

>>> On 18 December 2005 15:15:23 UTC, Tony wrote:

Angela wrote:

>> Tony wrote:
>> ALASKA
>> Alban Landscape Amidst Snowy Klondike Area
>> ('alba' is Latin for white, and I'm sure there's a better adjective based on the word, but I'm in bed and haven't got access to my books at the moment.)

>> Albino, perhaps?

Ha! Are there loads of pink eyes everywhere?

Is there a white crystalline resinous substance extracted from gutta-percha by the action of alcohol or ether everywhere? Is there St. Alban? Albino can refer to a plant that lacks chlorophyll, and such plants don't generally have pink eyes. In my opinion albino is more recognisable than alban as meaning white... if you don't want to twist the meaning of the 'real' word albino or albinic then I think 'albinoid' would be a more recognisable substitute than 'alban, simply because more people are likely to know the English word 'albino' than the Latin 'alba'.

I don't have my printed dictionaries on this side of the world (well, perhaps I do have a few, but they're buried in boxes of other books I left here) but of the four electronic dictionaries I've consulted, three don't have Alban at all (except for the saint, mountain and hills) and one has the crystalline resinous substance.