Author Topic: Methinks....  (Read 8744 times)

Jeff Anonymous

Methinks....
« on: March 28, 2003, 03:26:11 PM »
I FORGOT TO RANT ABOUT MY NEW DELL COMPUTER

I Feel Overjoyed.  Radeon Graphics, Optical Twosome, Transflexive Oversized Readout, And No Tubes.  Arrived Bouncily, Overconfident UPS Trafficker Must Yaw.  New "Experienced" Windows...Disk Expansive...Let Linux Claim Open Megabytes. Pleased User Thinks: "Elephantine RAM"

Or, in layman's terms, I finally got a new computer last December (no, not a Mac), with the stats:

Dell Dimension 8250, 2.4 Gigahertz Pentium IV
Dual boot: Windows XP, Red Hat Linux 8
120 gigabyte hard drive
512 megabytes of memory
17" flat panel display
128 megabyte ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card
Two optical disc drives

Been busy mucking about with Linux, that's probably why I haven't produced any acronyms lately, and none extolling this fine machine.

Now to expand the various acronyms I used in this post.

ATI
Absolutely Terrific Illustrations
Jeff Anonymous, referring to the graphics card company.

UPS
Uplift Packages Slowly
Jeff Anonymous, displeased because the United Parcel Service man dropped his computer in the front yard...but it works just the same, despite a rather odd clicking sometimes coming from the fan.

RAM
Rudely Affects Middle
Jeff Anonymous, explaining that eating random access memory may cause stomach cramps.

Angela

Methinks....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 02:14:30 PM »
That's not elephantine RAM... I have 576MB in my iBook :P

What kind of optical drives are they? I just have a DVD-ROM in my iBook, and an external CD writer, but I wish I had a combo drive like the newer ones have.

OPTICAL DRIVE

One-Piece To Inscribe CDs And Load DVD-ROMs, I'm Very Envious

Jeff

Methinks....
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 03:29:36 AM »
<angela>
That's not elephantine RAM... I have 576MB in my iBook :P
</angela>

I hate to discriminate against myself, but obviously any recent and/or heavily-upgraded Mac will probably outRAM a fresh-out-of-the-box-PC.  But frankly, it sure seems elephantine to me, because it's twice the highest amount I've ever had.  All my crashes are from either running Windows or doing things with Linux that'd probably make some people's heads spin.  

<angela>
What kind of optical drives are they? I just have a DVD-ROM in my iBook, and an external CD writer, but I wish I had a combo drive like the newer ones have.
</angela>

DVD-ROM on top, CD-RW on bottom.  Probably would have been better off with a DVD recorder but I didn't go down that path.

<angela>
OPTICAL DRIVE

One-Piece To Inscribe CDs And Load DVD-ROMs, I'm Very Envious
</angela>

No doubt a good thing on a laptop, but I still think that (unless you are going to mount a Soundblaster control panel in a drive bay on a small box) two separate drives are better, especially as it's a bit easier to make backups and/or maintain a 650mb read-only hard drive.

Tony

Methinks....
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 04:58:37 AM »

LAPTOP
Little Appliance - 'Puter - That's Obviously Portable

Angela

Methinks....
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 01:13:25 PM »

<jeff>
I hate to discriminate against myself, but obviously any recent and/or heavily-upgraded Mac will probably outRAM a fresh-out-of-the-box-PC.  But frankly, it sure seems elephantine to me, </jeff>

It seems elephantine to me as well... I thought the 196MB I had (before I swapped the 128MB for 512MB) was huge. I've only recently upgraded my iBook to have the most RAM it could possibly have (more than what Apple said was the maximum when it came out), and hadn't had a chance to show off very much yet, so I felt compelled to mention it.

<jeff>All my crashes are from either running Windows or doing things with Linux that'd probably make some people's heads spin.</jeff>

Their write heads or their read heads? ;)

<jeff>DVD-ROM on top, CD-RW on bottom.  Probably would have been better off with a DVD recorder but I didn't go down that path.</jeff>

I don't think I would either. Maybe if I had a digital video camera I'd want to make DVD movies, but considering a DVD-ROM holds more data than my current internal hard disk, I'd have quite a bit of difficulty in writing a DVD which holds significantly more data than a CD.

<jeff>No doubt a good thing on a laptop, but I still think that (unless you are going to mount a Soundblaster control panel in a drive bay on a small box) two separate drives are better,</jeff>

Then have two combo drives! :) Actually I can't comment on this since I've never owned a desktop computer. Unless you count the 512KB Mac and Mac Plus I rescued from the rain, which are now on display in the local Mac museum, or the Amstrad my brother and I shared. The Macs had floppy drives, and the Amstrad CPC464 had a tape drive. The Mac Plus might have also had a hard drive, but it had been used for parts by the time I got it.

At my work two CD-ROMs would be useful but we all share a CD writer and I don't think anybody watches DVDs here.

Jeff

Methinks....
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 09:23:55 AM »
<angela>
It seems elephantine to me as well... I thought the 196MB I had (before I swapped the 128MB for 512MB) was huge. I've only recently upgraded my iBook to have the most RAM it could possibly have (more than what Apple said was the maximum when it came out), and hadn't had a chance to show off very much yet, so I felt compelled to mention it.
</angela>

RAM is a good thing.  I remember back when 8 megabytes seemed large enough for anything...back before Windows 95.

<angela>
Their write heads or their read heads? ;)
</angela>

Both, in a frantic defrag.

<angela>I don't think I would either. Maybe if I had a digital video camera I'd want to make DVD movies, but considering a DVD-ROM holds more data than my current internal hard disk, I'd have quite a bit of difficulty in writing a DVD which holds significantly more data than a CD.</angela>

I burn a couple CDs every year, more or less, of my data.

<angela>Then have two combo drives! :) Actually I can't comment on this since I've never owned a desktop computer. Unless you count the 512KB Mac and Mac Plus I rescued from the rain, which are now on display in the local Mac museum, or the Amstrad my brother and I shared. The Macs had floppy drives, and the Amstrad CPC464 had a tape drive. The Mac Plus might have also had a hard drive, but it had been used for parts by the time I got it.

At my work two CD-ROMs would be useful but we all share a CD writer and I don't think anybody watches DVDs here.
</angela>

I've never owned a laptop, but as I am starting at the university in August, it seems prudent to acquire one within the next couple months.  Especially as I think I'll respect my teachers overmuch to take my notes by hand and miss the lecture...and not even be able to read the notes a few weeks later.

I've looked at ibooks, but I think I'm going to go with a Dell Inspiron 1100 because I'm not really sure how Apples are with 802.11a...and besides, I'm already learning Linux right now.

Angela

Methinks....
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 10:57:43 AM »

<jeff>RAM is a good thing.  I remember back when 8 megabytes seemed large enough for anything...back before Windows 95.</jeff>

Yes, I remember when 4MB was enough for everything... before Mac OS 8. Then 16MB was fine, until they conned me into getting 32MB.

Then one day, I suddenly had 192MB. Wow... my Applications menu (which lists all the open apps) was scrolling off the bottom of the screen in Mac OS 9 and I still had plenty of RAM to spare!

Mac OS X works fine in 192MB as well, and the difference between that and 576MB is not so noticeable to me, as it doesn't affect how many programs I can have open at once, it only affects the speed at which they run. But they say that Mac OS X likes as much RAM as you can give it.

<jeff>I burn a couple CDs every year, more or less, of my data.</jeff>

I don't burn many CDs either... my laptop lives on my lap, and I can't be bothered moving it to the desk where my peripherals are, which involves clearing a space on the desk where my peripherals are, and then either sitting on a chair (as opposed to a couch) while the CD is written or doing something which *gasp* doesn't involve my Mac.

I prefer peripherals which can be easily moved to the couch with me, like my iPod and USB-powered scanner.

<jeff>I've never owned a laptop, but as I am starting at the university in August, it seems prudent to acquire one within the next couple months. </jeff>

Laptops are great... though if you need a laptop, I'm puzzled as to why you just bought a desktop. Now you'll have less money to spend on the laptop.

<jeff>I've looked at ibooks, but I think I'm going to go with a Dell Inspiron 1100 because I'm not really sure how Apples are with 802.11a...and besides, I'm already learning Linux right now.</jeff>

iBooks support 802.11b and 802.11g. I suppose you can get an 802.11a thingy for one though.

Mac OS X is the good-looking cousin of Linux... you can still muck around with a UNIXy command line, but you also get an easy-to-use and consistent GUI. So you could learn a lot of the same stuff. The few things I've learnt about Linux from my sister and her friends all work on Mac OS X. Or ou could install Linux on an iBook, but it seems like a waste of time since you already have Darwin.

Now, it's about time I did some acronyms on the topic:

LAPTOP:

Luckiest Are People That Operate PowerBooks

Linux And Portables - There's Often Problems.

(I know a few people who've had Linux laptops and they seem to have problems with the power management.)

BIAS Because I'm an Apple Supporter? Well, there's no reason to be biassed toward Apples unless there's some reason why I prefer them in the first place, so then it's not really BIAS, it's just Because It's Actually Superior.

Now, I have nothing against Linux, and I do like to be able to tinker with things, but I don't want to have to deal with obscure commands and config files just to go about my normal daily tasks. I'd rather do things the easy way. I'm not saying that there aren't easy ways to do things in Linux... most of the time people use the GUI. But to get it really easy to use you have to set it up to be, and the setup is not so easy. So here's my final acronym of the post:

SETUP: Something Easy To Understand, Please!

Jeff

Methinks....
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 07:44:03 AM »
I've screwed my XFree again, I was trying to upgrade it.  So I need to reinstall Linux (Thankfully, I keep most of my important files in Windows)

As for why I just bought a desktop, I partake of certain games that perform best with high-end graphics, and I can't really afford an Alienware laptop or high-end Powerbook.

Angela

Methinks....
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2003, 12:41:09 PM »
XFREE: X (cross) Fellow Reinstalls Everything, Exasperated.

>>> On 06 April 2003 19:44:03 UTC, Jeff wrote:

I've screwed my XFree again, I was trying to upgrade it.  So I need to reinstall Linux (Thankfully, I keep most of my important files in Windows)

Jeff

Methinks....
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2003, 02:28:51 PM »
X From Redhat Expires Easily

>>> On 07 April 2003 00:41:09 UTC, Angela wrote:

XFREE: X (cross) Fellow Reinstalls Everything, Exasperated.

>>> On 06 April 2003 19:44:03 UTC, Jeff wrote:

Tony

Methinks....
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 01:23:13 AM »
METHINKS

My Erratic Thoughts Happen In No Known Sequence

Angela

Methinks....
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 01:14:22 PM »
I've been trying to come up with one for METH INKS but haven't managed to make a good one. Methanol Employed To Handwrite Inscriptions - No Known Side-effects?

tony

Methinks....
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 08:52:52 PM »

>>> On 16 April 2003 01:14:22 UTC, Angela wrote:

I've been trying to come up with one for METH INKS but haven't managed to make a good one. Methanol Employed To Handwrite Inscriptions - No Known Side-effects?

Excellent,
I had been looking at the meth-inks angle also but was stumped.