Author Topic: THEORY  (Read 11314 times)

from the Deeper Meaning of Balderdash

THEORY
« on: November 04, 2001, 04:36:16 AM »
Tony's Heir Enherits Oldman's Rowdy Yappings

In otherwords, the tonylet is among us, using the name "Trickertreat" and perhaps others.  This came to me late at night, so if it's true I acronymize floccinaucinihilipilification...with the expansion reflecting the meaning.

Tony

THEORY
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2001, 08:37:50 AM »
>>> On 03 November 2001 15:36:16 UTC, from the Deeper Meaning of Balderdash wrote:

In otherwords, the tonylet is among us, using the name "Trickertreat" and perhaps others.  This came to me late at night, so if it's true I acronymize floccinaucinihilipilification...with the expansion reflecting the meaning.

As I am not my own son, this idea - like many things - works fine in theory but fails in practice.

FAILS
"Flocci... " Acronym Is Laudable Subject!

Jeff Anonymous

THEORY
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2001, 10:08:45 AM »
heh...anyway, I'll do the flocciwhatchamacallit anyway.

Angela

THEORY
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2001, 10:30:31 PM »
Well, incorrect theories are an important part of learning - although Tony had already admitted to being Trickertreat, and what's more, I'd already theorised that it was the Tonylet.

Anyway, Enherits is a nasty cheat... how about Emulates?

>>> On 03 November 2001 15:36:16 UTC, from the Deeper Meaning of Balderdash wrote:

Jeff Anonymous

THEORY
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2001, 04:26:58 AM »
Anyway, Enherits is a nasty cheat... how about Emulates?

Emulates it is...

Tony

THEORY
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2001, 10:51:59 AM »
>>> On 03 November 2001 19:37:50 UTC, Tony wrote:

> As I am not my own son, this idea - like many things - works fine in theory but fails in practice.

THEORY
Treating How Everything's Organised & Related, Yeas?

PRACTICE
People Rarely Approve Complete Theories In Complex Experiments

SCIENTISTS
Some Canny Inventors Experiment - Nothing That's Interesting 'Scapes Their Scrutiny

LABORATORY
Located At Bench, Our Researcher Attempts Trials Of Radioactive Yields

PHYSICS
Profession Has Young Scientists Investigating Complex Spaces

CHEMISTRY
Conderning How Every Molecure Is Structured, Tailored & Relates. Yes?

BIOLOGY
By Investigation Of Life, One Gainsays Yahoos
(this could be better!)

Angela

THEORY
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2001, 11:10:24 AM »
>>> On 04 November 2001 21:51:59 UTC, Tony wrote:

BIOLOGY
By Investigation Of Life, One Gainsays Yahoos
(this could be better!)

And I suggested:

By Investigation Of Life, One Gains Yang?

Tony

THEORY
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2001, 07:11:55 AM »
>>> On 04 November 2001 22:10:24 UTC, Angela suggested:

BIOLOGY

.... only if one loses an equal quantity of Yin?
Or have I got this wrong, if Yin goes up, must Yang go down - or do both go up and down together?

Angela

THEORY
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2001, 11:48:25 AM »
>>> On 05 November 2001 18:11:55 UTC, Tony wrote:

BIOLOGY

.... only if one loses an equal quantity of Yin?
Or have I got this wrong, if Yin goes up, must Yang go down - or do both go up and down together?

So I postulated:

I doubt that Yin would go down as Yang went up... since they're opposites, a decrease of Yin would be basically equivalent to an increase of Yang, so if one went up when the other went down it would just double the effects. Do we have any lurking Chinese philosophers?

Tony

THEORY
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2001, 01:42:33 PM »
>>> On 05 November 2001 22:48:25 UTC, Angela wrote:

I doubt that Yin would go down as Yang went up... since they're opposites, a decrease of Yin would be basically equivalent to an increase of Yang, so if one went up when the other went down it would just double the effects. Do we have any lurking Chinese philosophers?

Chambers defines them as "opposing and complementary" which implies the up/down, or plus/minus viewpoint. Together they add up to a set 'total'.

If you lose three 'points' of yin, then you gain three 'points' of yang, as far as I can interpret it.

YIN/YANG
Your Influential Nature - You Avoid Net Gains

Angela Brett

THEORY
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2001, 03:45:47 PM »
I guess you're right... your viewpoint is only a few degrees rotation from mine, and yet it crosses an imaginary line. There's a mathematical name for that line which I forget, and which is irrelevant.

Anyway, do you agree with that amendment of your BIOLOGY?

Gosh, these new acronyms are coming so quickly... I should stick them all into the stack and release everything ASAP. (Acronyms Stack's A1 Priority!) I've been too involved in Cocoa in the last few days.

Tony

THEORY
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2001, 10:14:05 PM »
>>> On 06 November 2001 02:45:47 UTC, Angela Brett wrote:

Anyway, do you agree with that amendment of your BIOLOGY?

Yes, not that I need to agree. If someone posts and 'AC' and says it needs improvement, or is unfinished, then I think they have to accept anyting offered.

AC
Acronym's Curtailed
(This is not an effort at a 'valid' acronym, more a working abbreviation. I have long thought of my creations as Acs or maybe Aks - or even Axe - anything which sounds like teh plural of an abbreviation of Acronym.)

Jeff

THEORY
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2001, 05:07:38 AM »
AC
Acronym's Curtailed
(This is not an effort at a 'valid' acronym, more a working abbreviation. I have long thought of my creations as Acs or maybe Aks - or even Axe - anything which sounds like teh plural of an abbreviation of Acronym.)

I think of them as acros or acronyms.  :)

see the sundry expansions of NEW ACROS from my newbie days.

NEWBIE:

Not Even Weaned, Baby Is Extraordinary

--Jeff Anonymous, noting that an unweaned baby is basically a "newbie" to life.

Tony

THEORY
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2001, 10:02:42 AM »
Jeff wrote:

> NEWBIE:
> Not Even Weaned, Baby Is Extraordinary
> --Jeff Anonymous, noting that an unweaned baby is basically a "newbie" to life.

New Entrant With Beginner's Ignorant Enquiries
... a propos the usual use of the term - someone who hasn't read the manual asking basic questions... usually a FAQ (F*cking Assh*le Query)

I'm not normally as rude, but this seems to be how many 'oldbies' react to newbies.

Angela

THEORY
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2001, 11:41:40 AM »
Yeah, that's quite a common reaction amongst some of the oldbies on the Cocoa-dev (see http://acronyms.co.nz/cgi-bin/gonym?COCOA) mailing list... others are more helpful. Some people have suggested having a list for newbies only... but who would help them then?

OLDBIE: Oh, Like, Duh! Blasted Ignorant Enquiries!

OLDBIES: Out, Learner Dumb*ss! Because I'm Entirely Superior.

>>> On 06 November 2001 21:02:42 UTC, Tony wrote:

I'm not normally as rude, but this seems to be how many 'oldbies' react to newbies.