Author Topic: THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?  (Read 7931 times)

Angela Brett

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« on: September 29, 2000, 10:31:04 AM »

>>>Some primitive time way behind NZST, Tony McCoy O'Grady wrote:

>>> On 05 September 2000 09:09:24 NZST, Tony wrote:

No I didn't!!!!

I never did anything in New Zealand Time. I'm a BST or GMT person and saying I'm not won't make it so :–p

There, are you happy? Now get back to acronymising! :^)

Tony Has Experienced Altered Chronological Rhythm. On NZST You Might Travel Inter-Meridian, Entering Zone Of Nearly Earliest Sunrise.

Angela Brett

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2000, 10:33:44 AM »
Oops, I didn't realise that changing the subject would start a new thread. Oh well, I suppose this has nothing to do with the 'HELP!!!!!!!!!' thread anyway.

McCoy O'Grady

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2000, 11:35:46 AM »
Angela Brett wrote:

>Tony Has Experienced Altered Chronological Rhythm. On NZST You Might Travel Inter-Meridian, Entering Zone Of Nearly Earliest Sunrise.

"Earliest Sunrise"?
How (on earth) can a sunrise be early? Sunrise is a continuum, thankfully.

CONTINUUM
Can One Not Think It's Never-beginning, Unending, Universal Miracle

When Neil Armstrong on the moon looked down on the earth he noticed the sunrise rolling over the face of the deep, it didn't just turn on!

Earliest sunrise is a human definition of a timeless process and as such is a flawed interpretation.

Q. If you can't see it because of cloud, can the sunrise be said to have 'happened'?

Q. If you can't see the sun set because of cloud, does that mean that the sun will be stuck 'up there' all night?

Q. If the day after Saturday is cloudy, can it really be called Sunday?

Q. "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" sang Little Orphan Annie.... Out of where? Is it gay? Who put it away?

That's enough deep thoughts for one session ;-)

Tony McCoy O'Grady
------------------------------------
I grow old ever learning many things
                  Solon 640 - 558 BC

McCoy O'Grady

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2000, 11:38:55 AM »
>>> On 03 October 2000 10:35:46 NZST, McCoy O'Grady wrote:

.... Not yet I didn't!

Stop doing this to me!!!!!!!!!!

This is a site which seems to foretell the future. The time on my iMac is 11.35pm on Monday October 2nd. So like all pseudo psychic phenomena it is fraudulent. I am not going to write anything like those words on 03 October 2000! So there!

Angela Brett

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2000, 12:35:26 PM »

> At some point in time which I will not name for fear of feeling the wrath of a pedant, McCoy O'Grady wrote:

"Earliest Sunrise"?
How (on earth) can a sunrise be early? Sunrise is a continuum, thankfully.

And then I typed:

Oh, I do wish Edwin (creator of these forum cgis) would put arrows or <i>italics</i> indicating what is being replied to and what is the reply. New Zealand is the first country to enter any new date, so therefore whenever someone in New Zealand does see a sunrise (other than on TV I guess) they can be sure that they are nearly the first people to see the sunrise on that particular day, however arbitrary the marking of days is. So if I get up really early tomorrow, and it isn't cloudy, I will see the earliest October 4th sunrise! (Logically, that statement would be true even if the sun turns into a giant dzomo tomorrow, because I'm not going to get up that early!) If you still disagree, let's just say that my 'Earliest Sunrise' is quoted from a popular misconception.

he:

When Neil Armstrong on the moon looked down on the earth he noticed the sunrise rolling over the face of the deep, it didn't just turn on!

I:

So the deep has a face now? I thought it was the moon which had a face on it! Maybe it depends which way you're facing.

he:

Earliest sunrise is a human definition of a timeless process and as such is a flawed interpretation.

I:

Whether it's flawed or not, I happen to be a human so I'm allowed to use the definition! You're just cranky because you found out your poetic license was a forgery! :)

he:

Q. If you can't see it because of cloud, can the sunrise be said to have 'happened'?

I:

That all depends on your definition of sunrise... the 'pocket' dictionary I have with me at the moment doesn't even include the word, so I suggest you look it up in Chambers!

he:

Q. If you can't see the sun set because of cloud, does that mean that the sun will be stuck 'up there' all night?

I:

Wait for a cloudy evening and see for yourself.

he:

I:

If I were not acting particularly angelic, would I still be called Angela?

he:

Q. "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" sang Little Orphan Annie.... Out of where? Is it gay? Who put it away?

I:

Given that the sun is a key factor in the creation of rainbows, I wouldn't be surprised if it were gay! (Would we then call our days 'gays'?) From what I recall of Maori legend, it comes out of a big hole in the ground somewhere, but I don't know who put it there.

Angela Brett

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2000, 12:40:50 PM »

>>> On 03 October 2000 10:38:55 NZST, McCoy O'Grady wrote:

.... Not yet I didn't!

Stop doing this to me!!!!!!!!!!

And then I typed:

As my Mac would say, ust blame it on Bill! No, actually, blame it on Edwin, he made these forum cgis. You can blame it on him using the feedback page on http://un.co.nz

McCoy O'Grady

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2000, 07:53:41 AM »
Angela Brett wrote:

You're just cranky because you found out your poetic license was a forgery! :)

Moi? Cranky? Perish the thought... I'm just pun-bathing

he:

I:
That all depends on your definition of sunrise... the 'pocket' dictionary I have with me at the moment doesn't even include the word, so I suggest you look it up in Chambers!

AtC
----
Sunrise: the rising or first appearance of the sun above the horizon: the time or colour-effects of this rising, the cast.
----
This brings up the question of where the horizon is ;-) and implicitly indicates that the sun might only rise when it is in a position other than at the horizon's edge. So if it is cloudy from 'official sunrise' until midday, then the sunrise will not happen until midday, when the sun is undoubtedly well above the horizon, but equally has only just appeared above it. Curious!

he:

I:
Wait for a cloudy evening and see for yourself.

I can't, it's too dark to see what's going on ;-)

he:

I:
If I were not acting particularly angelic, would I still be called Angela?

Do you want to be? What you answer to is up to you.

From what I recall of Maori legend, it comes out of a big hole in the ground somewhere, but I don't know who put it there.

I recall seeing a Gary Larson cartoon where a cowboy on his horse had ridden up to the top of a hill and was looking down into a valley filled with hundreds of glowing orbs. The cowboy had a look of discovery on his face.

Edwin Hermann

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2000, 09:40:51 PM »
How do you know he looked *down* on the Earth?

When Neil Armstrong on the moon looked down on the earth ...

Jeff T. Anonymous, amateurly pedantic

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2001, 06:22:19 AM »
<edwin>
</edwin>

Precisely my thoughts...he might have looked sideways, or up, or diagonally.  he looked out...that's all you can say astronomically, out or in, unless you wish to use 3 360-degree sets.

Tony being even more pedantic

THE ACRONYM TIMEZONES?
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2001, 02:02:38 PM »
Jeff T. Anonymous, amateurly pedantic wrote:

<edwin>
</edwin>

Precisely my thoughts...he might have looked sideways, or up, or diagonally.  he looked out...that's all you can say astronomically, out or in, unless you wish to use 3 360-degree sets.

A) Draw an imaginary line connecting his heels with his toes and extend it forwards and backwards;
B) Draw an imaginary line connecting his eyes with the earth - his "line of sight";

1. If these lines converged at any point in front of him, then he was looking 'down',
2. if the convergance was behind him, then he was looking 'up',
3. if the lines were parallel, then he was looking 'out'.