Author Topic: Favourites  (Read 9203 times)

Angela

Favourites
« on: July 01, 2003, 09:58:57 PM »
Hi,

Who wants to submit a list of their favourite apronyms from the site?

I've just switched over the tour of recent acronyms from stack-generated pages to PHP. The same technology could easily be used for people to put up their own lists of favourites, or lists of apronyms on topics which wouldn't be suited to being a category (such as 'things not to give Grandma for Christmas' or 'A day in the life of Tony McCoy O'Grady') It seems to work for Amazon.

Who would be interested in adding lists like this? I could put up a web interface where you could type in the apronyms in one field and a title in another, and it'd add your list to a list of lists. You just type in the apronym, it looks up the expansion and other information when it displays the list. I'm not sure whether people should be able to edit them from the web too, or if they should have to log in to do so (so that nobody puts acronyms I dislike in my favourites list.)

For now, post your lists here or email them to me, and I'll put them up.

Tony

Favourites
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 10:14:13 PM »
Angela wrote:

> Who wants to submit a list of their favourite apronyms from the site?

I've just switched over the tour of recent acronyms from stack-generated pages to PHP.

....The dreaded geek-speek strikes :-)

I can't be asked to choose between my babies, I'm a modern parent and love them all equally. Some days some may look better in my eyes than others, but they all get the spotlight at some time or other.

Angela

Favourites
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 08:39:44 AM »

>>> On 01 July 2003 10:14:13 UTC, Tony wrote:

....The dreaded geek-speek strikes :-)

Aah, so mere acronyms are geek-speek now. PHP really stands for PHP HyperText Processing, but I've heard it called Pretty Hip Programming. Right now it's Phasing-out HyperCard Pages.

Maryellen

Favourites
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 02:04:16 AM »

Hi,
I am working with special ed high schoolers and one of our goals is  teaching them to make up acronyms to remember things. Do you have any spcial sites you can suggest? We are working on basic life skills.
Thanks
Maryellen

>>> On 01 July 2003 09:58:57 UTC, Angela wrote:

Hi,

Who wants to submit a list of their favourite apronyms from the site?

I've just switched over the tour of recent acronyms from stack-generated pages to PHP. The same technology could easily be used for people to put up their own lists of favourites, or lists of apronyms on topics which wouldn't be suited to being a category (such as 'things not to give Grandma for Christmas' or 'A day in the life of Tony McCoy O'Grady') It seems to work for Amazon.

Who would be interested in adding lists like this? I could put up a web interface where you could type in the apronyms in one field and a title in another, and it'd add your list to a list of lists. You just type in the apronym, it looks up the expansion and other information when it displays the list. I'm not sure whether people should be able to edit them from the web too, or if they should have to log in to do so (so that nobody puts acronyms I dislike in my favourites list.)

For now, post your lists here or email them to me, and I'll put them up.

Patricia

Favourites
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 10:53:11 AM »
I've been away a long time, and everything's changed! I read my own acronyms (or is more PC to say apronyms now, Tony?) and I can't believe I made them. Some are really great! Everyone elses are all really great! Let me get caught up then I'll tell you my very favourite.

Angela

Favourites
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 12:10:08 PM »
Hi Maryellen,

You've come to the right place... this site is all about making up acronyms, whether to remember things or just for fun. You will probably find the Apronymising tips at http://apronyms.com/tips.html useful.

The main page is http://apronyms.com if you want to show the students some examples. We don't have a category specifically on basic life skills or mnemonics but perhaps the 'Advice' category contains some suitable examples.

http://apronyms.com/category.php?ID=1984533

(Welcome back, Patricia!)

OliveTheOther

Favourites
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 12:40:44 PM »
Maryellen (RudolphTheRedNosed?) wrote:

> I am working with special ed high schoolers and one of our goals is  teaching them to make up acronyms to remember things.
> Do you have any spcial sites you can suggest? We are working on basic life skills.

MEMORY TRICKS
Mnemonic Expressions May Occasionally Remind You To Recall Interesting (or) Complex Kinda Stuff

Give us a few of the concepts you may want to offer them and we'll see if we can help. I have no idea of their ages (not that that means much, in fact their vocabulary levels might be a better guide).

We usualloy get around to at least a few offers within a week, and if more are required you only have to prompt us again. We are a very unorganised and disparate 'group'. In fact the word 'group' is overstating things greatly.

Best wishes.

And welcome back to Ms LongTimeGone. I don't care if you call them acronyms or apronyms, just drop the PC bit. It's Macintosh only in my house :-)

Patricia

Favourites
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 02:53:42 PM »
And welcome back to Ms LongTimeGone. I don't care if you call them acronyms or apronyms, just drop the PC bit. It's Macintosh only in my house :-)

Oh! Yes! Yet another discerning computer user.

My favourites of my own apronyms are the nursery rhymes, and then the place names. Much easier for me to make up than just plain words.

My favourites of Tony's are the ones of my own name. I'm so vain, I love to see my name in PRINT:
Please Realize I Need Therapy
:o)

Patricia

Favourites
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 02:26:39 PM »
Gee, where is everybody?

...and my favourites by Angela are her acronyms/apronyms ones.

:o)