Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 7542 times)

Edwin Hermann

Suggestion
« on: November 28, 2000, 07:43:15 PM »
I would like to make the following suggestion:

That a facility be introduced so that acronyms can be submitted via this website.

A <input type="text"> tag for the acronym and a <textarea> for the expansion, perhaps?

Edwin.

Angela Brett

Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2000, 09:49:59 PM »

>>> On 28 November 2000 18:43:15 NZST, Edwin Hermann wrote:

That a facility be introduced so that acronyms can be submitted via this website.

That's something I'm intending to do soon, just as soon as I either learn some perl or give up and decide to do it in C. I plan to add several cgis to the website so that the website has almost all the functionality of the HyperCard stack. If I can't write the cgis, I'm sure my alter-ego's secret identity MacGirl can... after all, cGi is (kind of) her middle name!

Tony

Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2000, 09:58:29 AM »
MACGIRL
Made Acronyms Computer-Guidable Into Remarkable List

MacGirl

Suggestion
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2000, 10:01:35 PM »
Given that I'm not yet sure which language to program the CGIs in, MACGIRL=May Attempt Common Gateway Interface... Reviewing Languages.

Hey, maybe I should actually put a few of the MacGirl & KeyBoard stories on the web. I think I've finished the first two (though it's been a while, I can't remember whether I finished the second) and Tony wrote some. Quite a few acronyms refer to the stories so I guess we should let people read them, even if Bondi blue is rather old now. What do you think, Tony?

KeyBoard

Suggestion
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2000, 09:04:41 AM »
>>> On 29 November 2000 21:01:35 NZST, MacGirl wrote:

Hey, maybe I should actually put a few of the MacGirl & KeyBoard stories on the web. I think I've finished the first two (though it's been a while, I can't remember whether I finished the second) and Tony wrote some. Quite a few acronyms refer to the stories so I guess we should let people read them, even if Bondi blue is rather old now. What do you think, Tony?

Whatever you want. They are 'your' stories and you can read them out loud in the Lecture Hall or Theatre in Massey University if you so wish ;-)

Angela

Suggestion
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2002, 01:04:13 AM »

>>> On 28 November 2000 18:43:15 NZST, yes, back when these forums still recorded the time in NZST, Edwin Hermann wrote:

I've finally got around to doing just that! Now this thread moves from the bottom of the list to the top. :) The submission form is at http://acronyms.co.nz/cgi-bin/submit. It checks acronyms for validity and even gives them 'purity' ratings based on how many uncapitalised words there are in the expansion. So those of us who think only acronyms with 100% 'purity' count as 'real' acronyms will be happy also. If I recall correctly the thread on 'Real' acronyms was about the second thread on these forums, so I'm really dealing with old suggestions!

Hmm, the phrase 'better late than never' could be interpreted with the other meaning of 'late' as something like, 'Tis better to have lived and died than never to have lived at all.'

Tony

Suggestion
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2002, 08:57:49 AM »
Angela wrote:

>Edwin Hermann wrote:

>> I would like to make the following suggestion:
>> That a facility be introduced so that acronyms can be submitted via this website.

> I've finally got around to doing just that! \

I've just used the submission site and was very impressed - good work, Angela.
I was sitting with my iBook on my lap watching the TV when an advert inspired me. So I went right to the site and submitted it..... excellent.

I also like (and thoroughly approve of) the submission guidelines - more kudos to Angela.

Angela

Suggestion
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2002, 01:48:16 PM »

>>> On 12 July 2002 20:57:49 UTC, Tony wrote:
I've just used the submission site and was very impressed - good work, Angela.

Thank you. :^)

I also like (and thoroughly approve of) the submission guidelines - more kudos to Angela.

The submission guidelines have been online for a long time - I think we both worked on them, I recall at least sending them to you to ask your opinion a few years ago.

Tony

Suggestion
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2002, 08:33:35 PM »
 Angela wrote:

> The submission guidelines have been online for a long time - I think we both worked on them, I recall at least sending them to you to ask your opinion a few years ago.

There seemed to be new stuff in there which I hadn't come across before  - such as the punctuation and the explanations ideas.