Author Topic: Some laptop-buying advice needed  (Read 12869 times)

Jeff Anonymous

Some laptop-buying advice needed
« on: May 08, 2003, 04:50:25 AM »
This may look funny coming from me, but how's the battery life on the $999 12.1" iBook?

Dell evidently ripped me off on my desktop (I had to get my sound card replaced to get the good audio quality for which I paid) and Gateway has horrid battery life on the affordable models.

So I am considering a Mac.

tony

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 11:50:45 AM »
Jeff Anonymous wrote:

>how's the battery life on the $999 12.1" iBook?

I've no idea. I'd suggest you ask in an iBook list.

Angela

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 01:40:03 PM »
According to http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html:

iBook with 12.1-inch display: 46-watt-hour lithium-ion battery provides up to 5 hours of battery life on a single charge (1)

(1) Battery life depends on configuration and use.

So I'd guess you'd get around four hours of normal usage. I don't know, I have one of the last coloured generation of iBooks, whose battery is supposed to run for 6 hours on a single charge. I recall playing mp3s on it through a car stereo most of the way from Auckland to Taumaranui when it was new, not that that would mean much to you. It's a few years old now, and lasts perhaps an hour - I haven't run it on battery for a while.

When my power adaptor broke recently, the iBook slept for over a week after 'fainting' from lack of power, so if you only want the pulsating sleep light and staggering uptimes, you could probably have it going for months on one charge. ;-)

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 01:10:01 PM »
I AM GETTING THE MAC

Ibooks Are Much Greater Even Than The ' Gateways.  Truly, Hypercard Even May Activate Correctly!

I've been mucking around with a Mac 7.5.2 emulator, and it runs some old programs that don't even work in Windows anymore.

Also I finally got to see the stack.  Quite the laugh when I ran into the joke about fora and pedantry.  Quite a bit of laughter eminating from the stack, as well.

Jeff Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 01:11:38 PM »

>>> On 10 May 2003 01:10:01 UTC, Jeff wrote:

I AM GETTING THE MAC

Ibooks Are Much Greater Even Than The ' Gateways.  Truly, Hypercard Even May Activate Correctly!

Er, make that:

..Even Than The IBMs 'N' Gateways...

For IBM = It's Barbarically Megapriced

Angela

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 01:30:10 PM »
I'M GLAD YOU'RE GETTING THE MAC!

It's My Goal... Let All Decide 'Yes!' On Understanding Relative Excellence of G3/G4 Electronics. The Truth Is, Nobody's Going To Have Eventual Misgivings About Computer.

I do tend to prod people toward getting Macs, but most people (especially long-suffering Windows users, or Linux users entranced by the genuinely translucent terminal windows) don't need any prodding once they have all the information. So it's 'my' goal to get the people I meet to use/buy Macs, but they really decide yes for themselves.

Jeff

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 03:47:50 PM »
I'm not at this time giving up on Windows and Linux, but if IBM-compatible PC makers are much worse in a couple years, I may be looking in the direction of a G4 (or G5, if they have them yet) for my next desktop computer.

Jeff

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 02:59:49 AM »
I got my iBook yesterday and I am very pleased with it.

Quotation mark key's a bit apt to disengage itself, but that's easily replaired.