Author Topic: Hello fellow acronymizers.  (Read 12344 times)

Slambo

Hello fellow acronymizers.
« on: August 22, 2003, 05:31:03 AM »
Hello everyone.  I've been reading (and submitting a few) apronyms here for a while.  Now it's time to delurk and introduce myself.

I've been collecting computer acronyms for some time and have created a page devoted to humorous acronym expansions of computer terms <a href="http://personalpages.tds.net/~slambo/acronym.htm>The Real Canonical List of Humorous Computer Acronyms (TRCLHCA)</a>.  My interest in humorous acronym expansions goes back some time as noted in the introduction on my page.

Now, to think up some more expansions for TRCLHCA...

- The Robot Cried Humorously, "Letters Creating Acronyms!"
- To Reacronymize, Change Hierarchical Letters to Curious Acronyms
- Try Recursively Changing Lingual Heuristics to Create Acronyms

Tony

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 09:00:35 AM »
Slambo wrote:

> Hello everyone.  I've been reading (and submitting a few)
> apronyms here for a while.  

Wlecome, and thank you, all contributions are gratefully welcomed, as long as they are apt, (or) funny, (or) literate (or) really, really rude :-)

> Now it's time to delurk and introduce myself.

De-lighted to meet a de-lurker
DELURK
Deceptor Eventually Looks Up, Revealing (K)nickname

> I've been collecting computer acronyms for some time > and have created a page devoted to humorous
> acronym expansions of computer terms

This whole thing started because I didn't know what LOL meant, that's when we took up the idea of expanding our own humorous things one could put into emails.

> The Real Canonical List of Humorous Computer Acronyms (TRCLHCA)
> My interest in humorous acronym expansions goes
> back some time as noted in the introduction on my page.

> Now, to think up some more expansions for TRCLHCA...

The idea behind 'these; pages is that the acronyms be 'words' - i.e. pronounceable (in English). Your TRCLHCA looks like the name of a town in Poland!

Welcome.
Tony

Angela

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 12:10:00 PM »
Slambo said:
> Now, to think up some more expansions for TRCLHCA...

And then Tony said:
The idea behind 'these; pages is that the acronyms be 'words' - i.e. pronounceable (in English). Your TRCLHCA looks like the name of a town in Poland!

So I replied:
But the site also has re-expansions of existing acronyms, and TRCLHCA is an existing acronym, so I think the re-expansions should be allowed.

Also, the really, really rude ones are not on the site, only the rude, really rude and rudely real ones!

Slambo

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 01:57:44 AM »
> DELURK
> Deceptor Eventually Looks Up, Revealing (K)nickname

Disguised Entity Leaves Users Rarely Known

> Your TRCLHCA looks like the name of a town in Poland!

(Googling...) kind of like Trzcianka?

Angela

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 01:20:56 PM »
>>> On 21 August 2003 17:31:03 UTC, Slambo wrote:

Now, to think up some more expansions for TRCLHCA...

- The Robot Cried Humorously, "Letters Creating Acronyms!"
- To Reacronymize, Change Hierarchical Letters to Curious Acronyms
- Try Recursively Changing Lingual Heuristics to Create Acronyms

But I noticed:
The first two are for TRCHLCA.

Patricia

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 02:30:25 PM »
You guys freak me out. WTHk is TCLBlahBlahBlah anyway?

Hi Tony.

Angela, No Offense Meant, but is this the slowest-loading site in the Southern Hemisphere?

:o)

Angela

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 06:55:07 PM »

You guys freak me out. WTHk is TCLBlahBlahBlah anyway?

Slambo's site, The Real Canonical List of Humorous Computer Acronyms at http://personalpages.tds.net/~slambo/acronym.htm

Angela, No Offense Meant, but is this the slowest-loading site in the Southern Hemisphere?

None taken. If the forums are slow, it's Edwin's server, and if the rest of the Apronyms site is slow, it's my sister's server. People have been complaining that her server is going slowly.

tony

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 11:45:17 PM »

Patricia wrote:

> Angela, No Offense Meant, but is this the slowest-loading site in the Southern Hemisphere?

It's the Coriolis effect. The site loads anti-clockwise in the southern hemisphere and clockwise in the northern.

Reverse the polarity of the plug on your computer and all will be as it should be :-)

Angela

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 08:46:08 AM »

>>> On 03 September 2003 11:45:17 UTC, tony wrote:

It's the Coriolis effect. The site loads anti-clockwise in the southern hemisphere and clockwise in the northern.

Hehehe... if the site takes so long to load that the Coriolis force has time to make a difference, I should really be worried!

The company which houses my sister's server (which hosts apronyms.com/acronyms.co.nz but not these forums) recently discovered something which was making all the servers run slowly, and fixed it.

Let's all come up with silly ideas about what could have made the servers run slowly, and apronymise them! (I should be working now, so you'll have to wait for mine.)

If it's the forums which are slow, never fear... I'm developing some new forums especially for the Apronyms site (you'll be able to link to apronyms like <THIS> as you can in the stack.) This is not due to any inadequacy of the forums which Edwin has kindly provided, but a way of freeing up Edwin's web space so we can converse all we like without having to remove any threads to save space.

If anyone has any suggestions for things they would like in the new forums, I'd like to hear them. Already the threads will be sortable by date of first post, date of last post, or number of threads. I might allow changing the subject in the middle of the thread (as we often do, but not officially) but I haven't decided how that would display on the Message List page.

tony

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2003, 06:26:55 PM »
Angela wrote:

>> tony wrote:

>> It's the Coriolis effect. The site loads anti-clockwise in
>> the southern hemisphere and clockwise in the northern.

> Let's all come up with silly ideas about what could have
> made the servers run slowly, and apronymise them!

CORIOLIS
Circularity Of Rotation Is Oppositional, Loading Is Slow

... you see, I was right all along!

But, maybe, just maybe I'm wrong and It's all that ice and snow in Canada which is slowing things down.,... cold slows everything down as winter approaches... it's a throwback to hibernation:

SLUGGISH SPEED
Some Latitudes Undergo Great Glaciation. Internet Speed Has Slowed. Patti's Evidently Entering Dormancy

Angela

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 12:42:48 PM »
PLANETARY ALIGNMENT

Pulling Language Across Network Employs Tidal Astroillogical Reinforcements... Your-Anus Lies In Gemini? Nothing Moves Electronically, No Traffic.

It need some improvement!

Though I doubt the Apronyms server was a target of the great MS DOS attack, even the power blackout in the US was briefly blamed on the MSBLASTER virus:

My Server Began Losing All Speed... Those Evil Rascals!

Angela

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 10:18:06 PM »
I just remembered that the web server is called Uranus, which makes that last expansion more apt.