Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 6356 times)

Laura and Helen

Harry Potter
« on: November 22, 2003, 07:52:57 AM »
We are founding a Harry Potter society at university and are trying to think of a suitable name. We are looking for an acronym related to Harry Potter which stands for the name of our society. The name of the society could include the fact that it is based in Cambridge University, it is a club, group, society, guild etc. and it is for Harry Potter fans.

One thought we had was...
SHaPE Society of HArry Potter Enthusiasts

but we would really like the abbreviation to relate to Harry Potter or magic in general in some way.

Can anyone help us?

Muggle McCoy O'Grady

Harry Potter
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 01:00:26 PM »
Laura and Helen wrote:

> We are founding a Harry Potter society at university and are trying to think of a suitable name.
> We are looking for an acronym related to Harry Potter which stands for the name of our society.
> The name of the society could include the fact that it is based in Cambridge University, it is a club, group, society, guild etc. and it is for Harry Potter fans.

> One thought we had was...
> SHaPE Society of HArry Potter Enthusiasts

> but we would really like the abbreviation to relate to Harry Potter or magic in general in some way.

> Can anyone help us?

MUGGLES
Magic University Group, Gladly Learn Exotic Spells

HOGWARTS
Harry! Our Group Worships All Rowling's Thrilling Stories

(On an un-acronymic angle one could try Society 9 and 3/4)

ROWLING
Readers Of Wizardry Linked In Novel Guild

HARRY POTTERS
Happiness Abounds Reading Ripping Yarns - Popular Obsession Theme's Tertiary Education Reading Society

Angela

Harry Potter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 04:18:15 PM »
MAGIC: Mad About Gryffindor In Cambridge

I'm in Ravenclaw myself, according to the sorting h@ http://nimbo.net/quiz/houses.html

Probably one of the house names would be a good name for your society, but I can't think of apronyms for them right now.

Laura and Helen

Harry Potter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 07:46:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Now we just have to decide which one to use!

Mrs Gabriela Gaione

Harry Potter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 02:55:34 AM »

Dear everyone

You may be surprised to see that someone overseas wants to provide you with some feedback about Harry Potter. Well it is exactly the opposite,as you will see.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Gabriela Gaione and I am a teacher of English as a Foreign Language in Uruguay, the country I come from. I have been teaching EFL in highschools both private and Statal for over 15 years now.  

The thing is I became interested in Harry Potter for a number of reasons. First there's the fact that my former Phonetics Professor - now a senior colleague at Cerp del Sur- introduced to me to the character in 1999, I must say that he himself, who happens to dislike the character,  presented it to us student teachers for the sake of originality- whatever ... Secondly there's my own students. They have told me they are only interested in Harry Potter- and perhaps the 7 Narnia Chronicles translated into Spanish of course, since for a Spanish speaking child JK Rowling's novels can be a bit too difficult.

Anyway, little by little, I started to include the topic in my lessons with very positive results. Now I'm working as a Didactics teacher at Cerp del Sur, an  Institution where future teachers read to become professional ones at highschools in my country. I also teach a subject called Language and Culture II, the main topics of the course being Human Rights, Education for Peace, the World of Labour and even Religion. I am interested in conducting a discussion on HP since it  provides material catering for the four main topics and it can be studied 'seriously', beyond the children's tale.

It would be of great help if you could correspond with me on this matter since it is a highly controversial issue, academically speaking.It would help me a great deal to have some evidence of interest at a tertiary setting as prestigious as yours.

I look forward to hearing from you

with kind regards,

Gabriela Gaione