Author Topic: Acronymic aptness.  (Read 7569 times)

Tony

Acronymic aptness.
« on: December 12, 2000, 11:11:13 AM »
The title is an entry in Brewer's Dictionary of Modern Phrase and Fable, a book I treated myself to with a recent book-token. The book aims to update the original idea by Dr E Cobham Brewer, who listed the origins and allusions behind many wellknown phrases.

Anyway - the new book has an entry "Acronymic aptness" and the text runs as follows:-
=====
A tendency arose in the 20th century for the names of certain organizations , movements, charities and so on to spell out a meaningful or punning acronym rather than simply a meaningless word. The following are some examples current at the end of the century:
ADAPT: Access for Disabled People to Art Today
CAMPFIRE:Communal Area Management Programmes For Industrial Resources
CHIME: Churches' Initiative in Musical Education
EUREKA: European Research Cooperation Agency
FOCUS: Financial Outstation Central Unified System
HOLMES: Home Office Large Major Enquiry System (a police computer)
SEALS: Sea, Air and Land Service
SERENDIP: Search for Extraterrestrial Radio Emissions from Nearby Developed Intelligent Populations
SMART: Special Measures Action Reform Team
STEP: Special Temporary Employment Programme
TRACE: test equipment for rapid automatic checkout and evaluation

Equally creative are the humorous reinterpretations of acronymic names of airlines, as:
Alitalia: always late in take-off, always late in arrival
BOAC: better on a camel
QANTAS: quite a nice trip, all survived
SABENA: such a bloody experience, never again
=====
Well, some are alright, but most are absolutely awful.  Any comments?

Edwin Hermann

Acronymic aptness.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2000, 09:53:40 PM »
The title of the book suggests something normal, but going from the acronyms it's obviously a piss-take?

Ed.

Angela Brett

Acronymic aptness.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2000, 12:00:50 AM »
Naturally I saw your message soon after it was posted (it just wouldn't do to not check up on my own forums) but didn't really have much to say about it. I agree that several of them are awful... particularly the ADAPT one - it seems to me that the D should stand for Dyslexic since they swapped a few letters in the acronym. I liked the airline ones at the end though.

Angela

Acronymic aptness.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 05:09:55 PM »
Long, long ago, so long ago that nobody remembered it when the 'Meaningful Acronyms' thread began, Tony wrote:

The title is an entry in Brewer's Dictionary of Modern Phrase and Fable, a book I treated myself to with a recent book-token. The book aims to update the original idea by Dr E Cobham Brewer, who listed the origins and allusions behind many wellknown phrases.

Anyway - the new book has an entry "Acronymic aptness" and the text runs as follows:-
=====
A tendency arose in the 20th century for the names of certain organizations , movements, charities and so on to spell out a meaningful or punning acronym rather than simply a meaningless word.

Perhaps we should write to the editor of this book and inform them that these meaningful or punning acronyms are called apronyms.

Tony

Acronymic aptness.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 07:44:19 PM »
Angela wrote:

>> The title is an entry in Brewer's Dictionary of Modern Phrase and Fable...

>> A tendency arose in the 20th century for the names of certain organizations , movements, charities and so on to spell out a meaningful or punning acronym rather than simply a meaningless word.

> Perhaps we should write to the editor of this book and inform them that these meaningful or punning acronyms are called apronyms.

A good idea, and I will look into it. But I don't know how often the book is revised/reissued.

Eric Peabody

Acronymic aptness.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 06:17:36 AM »
I am searching for an acronym or apronym for "SABATICAL." It must be biblically meaningful.