Author Topic: Trouble submitting POWERPOINT expansion  (Read 10488 times)

Sean Lamb

Trouble submitting POWERPOINT expansion
« on: March 06, 2004, 04:59:59 AM »
I'm trying to submit a new expansion for POWERPOINT:

Presentations Once Were Educational. Redmond's Product Outrageously and Inimitably Negates That.

The submission form is telling me that there are only 7 capitalized words in the expansion.  That's not the way I count it.  The only reason I can see for the script count is that the first seven capitalized words are on the first line of the input box, while the remainder get wrapped to the second line of the input box.

Tony

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 09:26:33 AM »
Sean Lamb wrote:

> I'm trying to submit a new expansion for POWERPOINT:

> Presentations Once Were Educational. Redmond's Product Outrageously and Inimitably Negates That.

> The submission form is telling me that there are only 7 capitalized words in the expansion.  
> That's not the way I count it.  
> The only reason I can see for the script count is that the first seven capitalized words are on the first line of the input box,
> while the remainder get wrapped to the second line of the input box.

I cut and pasted the expansion above into my copy of Apronyms 0.9 on my iBook. It was accepted.
I added your name as the creator and submitted it for inclusion in tghe next update using your email address above.

Apronyms 0.9 returned the following message
"The apronym 'POWERPOINT' was successfully submitted. If you supplied a valid email address, you will receive an email saying whether your apronym was accepted for inclusion on the site."

Don't know why it didn't work for you. Did you type the full expansion into the Apronyms application, or might you have cut and pasted from a text program? That 'may' have caused a problem if there were any invisible characters. Otherwise Angela might have some thoughts.

Best wishes.

Sean Lamb

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 11:27:50 AM »
> I cut and pasted the expansion above into my
> copy of Apronyms 0.9 on my iBook. It was
> accepted.

Whew!  Glad to know I'm not losing my mind again.  That happened about 15 years ago...

> Don't know why it didn't work for you. Did you
> type the full expansion into the Apronyms
> application, or might you have cut and pasted
> from a text program? That 'may' have caused a
> problem if there were any invisible
> characters. Otherwise Angela might have some
> thoughts.

I tried both ways.  I first copy/pasted from a shell window running vim, then tried typing it directly.  Since my previous submissions were all done with the same copy/paste method, it should have worked.  My first thought was that it didn't like the punctuation, but trying it without the punctuation didn't work either.

Angela

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 12:37:57 AM »
The submission form on the website used to use exactly the same code as is in the Apronyms application, but it has recently been rewritten in PHP for various uninteresting reasons. Apronyms submitted to the site using the app do not go through the validation again on the server, so that provides an explanation for an apronym which the app accepts being rejected by the submission form on the site.

I thought the new version of the submission form was using the exact same algorithm as the one in the app, but it seems like something's gone wrong. I'll look into it after I've had some sleep.

Meanwhile, who needs PowerPoint now there's Keynote? (http://apple.com/keynote/)

KEYNOTE: Kept Easy... You've No Overhead To Exhibit

With Keynote, you don't need an old-fashioned overhead projector and slides, so there is less overhead in setting up a presentation.

Tony

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 01:59:40 AM »
]Angela wrote:
KEYNOTE: Kept Easy... You've No Overhead To Exhibit

With Keynote, you don't need an old-fashioned overhead projector and slides, so there is less overhead in setting up a presentation.

OVERHEAD (1)
One's Viewers Engage & React, Having Eyeballed A Diagram
(Overhead projectors made presentations much easier to assimilate for the audience in a conference/school)

OVERHEAD (2)
Obscured Visuals Effectively Reduce How Everyone Appreciates Diagram
(It only takes one person to stand and block out the presentation)

OVERHEAD (3)
Optical Vierer's Expensive - Resources Have Entered A Deficit
(Overhead projectors don't often get as much use as imagined when they were being argued for)

Angela

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 04:01:11 PM »
Oops... the submission form was telling you there were lowercase letters where capitals should have been because there was a capital letter where a lowercase one should have been in the code. :^) How fitting.

Thanks for powerpointing that bug out, it has been fixed now.

PRESENTATIONS: Please Remember Electronic Slideshows Enhance Nothing That's Already Terrible Information. Only Note Success!

Jeff Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 11:18:57 AM »
POWERPOINT
Prints Out Well Enough, Even Red.  Projection, 'Owever, Is Necessary Today.

Powerpoint can project these days, on both major operating systems (despite its history as an overhead publisher for Mac); in fact, in about an hour I need to project a Powerpoint.  I would have gotten Keynote except that it costs almost as much as Office Academic, and I actually had the chance to try Mac Powerpoint.

Angela

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 01:18:09 PM »
I actually wasn't thinking about PowerPoint using overheads... in fact, it hadn't even occurred to me that somebody would use a package like PowerPoint or Keynote to print out old-fashioned transparencies.

COMPUTER PRESENTATION: Can Only Make Printouts Using This Expensive Rubbish? Projection's Really Easy, Shouldn't Everyone Nowadays Throw Away Transparencies? Ink's Old News!

Angela

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 08:00:41 PM »
I've just noticed you have an extra E word in there.

>>> On 08 March 2004 22:18:57 UTC, Jeff Anonymous wrote:

POWERPOINT

Jeff

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 11:05:35 AM »
In that case, scratch "Enough"

>>> On 21 March 2004 08:00:41 UTC, Angela wrote:

I've just noticed you have an extra E word in there.

>>> On 08 March 2004 22:18:57 UTC, Jeff Anonymous wrote:

POWERPOINT