Author Topic: Alphabet equal opportunity  (Read 19599 times)

Angela

Alphabet equal opportunity
« on: March 09, 2004, 01:38:40 PM »
Hi,

I was thinking about starting a thread where people could post apronyms beginning with the lexically disadvantaged letters such as Q, when I came up with a more fun idea. I vaguely recall playing a game when I was a child where somebody would come up with a topic, and we'd go through the alphabet with each person coming up with a word suiting the topic starting with the next letter of the alphabet. A common one was animals, where the first person might say aardvark, the next bat, the next cat, etc.

Why don't we start one of those here, but each word would be apronymised? I'll pick a topic to start with, and each post has to include an apronym on that topic beginning with the next letter or the alphabet, and, optionally, an apronym starting with A on a new topic (which the next people would have to continue, so that each post thereafter has to contain several apronyms.)

If I had a dictionary nearby I'd flip it to a random page and choose the first word I saw as the topic, but I'm at work right now. Instead, I typed some random letters into dictionary.com and chose one of the suggested correct spellings, which was 'cookfire'. Therefore, I have decided that the topic will be food. I'll start with a food beginning with A, resisting the temptation to do Apple:

ANISEED: Always Nice In Sweets, Enjoy Every Dose

So, the next poster has to come up with a food beginning with B, preferrably one which hasn't been apronymised yet.

Tony

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 08:10:36 PM »
BROTH
Boiled Richness Offered To Hospitalised

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 09:33:26 AM »
CANOLA

Cooking Aid.  Nice Omega-3 Abundency.

Angela

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 09:53:54 PM »

Jeff, I wasn't aware that 3 started with L. That would confuse Romans.

DANISH: Definitely A Nourishment I Should Have

Hey, this could be played like the card game 'Last Card' in which you can change suit by putting down several of the same number. Thus if the next poster 'puts down' a second DANISH but with a different meaning, s/he could switch the 'suit' from foods to nationalities. I could put down a second danish myself but I'm greedy. Perhaps rather than completely changing the suit the game would split into two threads so each person has to put down both a nationality and a food.

I'm not quite sure how the other rules of Last Card would apply, but if you can apply a Last Card rule convincingly/amusingly enough to this game I might let you get away with it. I'd say we should pretend there are only four of each 'number' in the pack, so you can't apronymise more than four different kinds of danish before going onto an E of whichever suit we end up in

Sean Lamb

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 03:27:21 AM »
ECLAIR
Every Chomp's Luscious; An Irresistible Recipe!

Sean Lamb

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 06:34:12 AM »
Continuing...

FLAN
Funny-Looking, Aromatic Nourishment

GRAPE
Generally Round And Plump Eats

HAM
Holiday-Appearing Meat

Angela

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 08:34:21 AM »
ICECREAM

In Cones... Everyone Can't Resist Eating Another Mouthful.

Angela

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 09:48:24 PM »
I wasn't happy about that 'Everyone' so I'll change it to:

In-Cone Extravagance... Can't Resist Eating Another Mouthful.

and, to go with that:

JELLY: Juice, Except Less Liquid. Yum!

Sean Lamb

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 02:22:57 AM »
I guess it helps that I like to cook, so I can think of all these foods...

KEBAB
Kreative Eats, Beef And Barbecue

LEEK
Let's Eat Everything, 'Kay?

MELON
Must Eat Lots Of Nourishment

Angela

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 08:52:18 AM »
NONI: Nitwits Opened New Industry

As I understand it, the noni was just a weed until somebody decided to convince health nuts that it must be good for you because it tastes bad.

Sean Lamb

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 01:47:14 AM »
I was having trouble coming up with one for N, but...

ORANGE
Ordinary Refreshment; Alton Notes, "Good Eats!"
(Alton Brown is the host of my favorite cooking show right now, "Good Eats")

PEANUT
Peckish Eaters Are Nibbling Unopened Treats
(peanuts always seem to taste better when you have to get them out of their shells first)

QUICHE
Quite Unflattering International Chow of Hard Eggs

Sean Lamb

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 01:22:28 AM »
Okay, I know this is premature, but...

ZITI
Zesty Italian Tasty Ingredients

Angela

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 08:30:14 AM »
It's nice of you to do a difficult letter for us, but what if somebody were to change the 'suit' now (as outlined in my earlier post) and make your ZITI unnecessary? :) Also, I think whoever does the Z word gets to choose the topic for our next alphabet traversal. Since you've done the Z prematurely, that means the next topic will have to begin in your next post and run concurrently with this one. To make things interesting, try to choose something we don't already have a category for.

Yes, I am making up the rules as I go along. Try it... it's fun.

ROAST PORK: Rotated On A Spit, The Pig Overtly Ruins Kosher

Sean Lamb

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 08:59:30 AM »
Okay then...  B-)

SUGAR
Sweetener Unfairly Groused by Atkins Regimentarians

Now for the fork in the thread: Law

ATTORNEY
Anoter Trialist Teaching Of Righteousness to Near Every Youth
(disclaimer: my father is a Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles County in California; yeah, this isn't the best, but it's the first thing that popped into my mind).

Angela

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 10:44:59 PM »
I was hoping one of the others would rejoin the conversation, but here goes:

TURNIP: This Unremarkable Root Never Inspires Passion

Now for the fork in the thread: Law

The obvious one was barrister but I don't know enough about them. So... laws are made to B...

BROKEN: By Rebelling, Outlaws Keep Everyone Noticing

(They're really just doing it because they want attention. Sentence potential criminals to preventative attention and everything will be fine.)