Author Topic: Alphabet equal opportunity  (Read 20466 times)

Sean Lamb

Alphabet equal opportunity
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 02:44:43 PM »
Ooh, I get another hard one!  B-)  There aren't too many foods starting with U, but...

UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
Unually Produced Snack Is Dessert.  Edible Dish Of What-Not Cooked And Konsumed Enthusiastically.

And on the legal front...

COUNSELOR
Courtroom Officer Usually Negates Someone Else's Legal Opinion Resolutely

Angela

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2004, 08:37:18 AM »
VINDALOO

Volcanic Indian Norm Daunts A Lot Of Others

And on the legal front...

DEFENSE
Detective's Evidence-Finding Etiquette Not Strictly Endorsed

(If TV shows are to be believed, people often get off because the evidence which proves their guilt was not obtained in the right way.)

Sean Lamb

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 01:54:32 AM »
WHITE CHOCOLATE
What Holidaymaker Intends To Eat Candy Hearts Or Chocolate?  One's Lunch is Accentuated Tastefully, Elegantly

EVIDENCE
Evidence Vindicates Indictment.  Defenders Explain Nothing 'Cept Embarrassment.

Angela

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 10:57:48 PM »
Oh boy... this has to be harder than Z. I'll do two of them just for the sake of masochism.

XYLITOL
Xpect You'll Lose Inches Through Overpriced Lollies?

short for XYLOSE SORBITOL, used as a sweetener in dental products and low-calorie foods.
Xylitol... You'll Love Our Substitute. Everyday Sugar Often Rots But Its Taste's Okay.

FOREMAN OF THE JURY
Finished Off Reviewing Evidence, My Announcement Notes Our Findings.Trial Has Ended, Judge Usually Rules Years.

Angela

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2004, 11:26:39 PM »
Oops, I missed a letter on this one:

Xylitol... You'll Love Our Substitute. Everyday Sugar Often Rots But Its Taste Obviates Lesions.

Sean Lamb

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 09:14:32 AM »
Well, YAM (Yet Another Meal) is the obvious Y food, but that's too easy.  Hmmm....  The foods I cook are offen YUMMY (You're Usually Made to Mention "Yum")...  and I bake with YEAST (Yes, Edibles Are Sitting for Time)...  Nope, can't think of anything.

As for courtroom antics, how about...
GAVEL
Give A Vital End to Lawsuit

Angela

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2004, 10:42:54 PM »
I don't have to follow that with a Z food, since you've already done one, but I will anyway and start a new thread so that we can have two going... it's more fun that way.

ZUCCHINI
Zucca Uses Cognomen 'Courgette' Here In Non-Italy

So with that I'll start a new thread, on the topic of dinosaurs.

ARCHAEOPTERYX
Although Rather Controversial, Hailed As Earliest Ornithoid. Precursor To Everyday Robins, Yet Xtinct.

And on the law front:

HEARSAY
Her Evidential Account's Really Secondhand (According to Yvette)

Sean Lamb

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2004, 03:12:59 AM »
Dinos, eh?  Well the only thing left of them is typically...

BONES
Big Osseous Neoliths Explained by Scientists

INDICT
Ignorance is No Defense In Court Today

Angela

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2004, 10:33:37 PM »
Dinosaurs died out at the end of the CRETACEOUS

Collossal Reptiles Endured 'Til A Catastrophic Event Ousted Umpteen Species.
Cosmic Rock Ended This Age, Causing Extinction On Unprecedented Scale
Chalky Rock's Evidence Tells About Creatures Experts Only Understand Slightly

J is an easy one for law:

JUDGE
Jury Unanimously Decided Guilt; Enter Sentence.

But we already have one for JUDGE, so here's a conversation-style apronym:

JURY
Judge: Unanimous? Representative: Yes.

Angela

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2004, 06:49:40 PM »
>>> On 22 April 2004 15:12:59 UTC, Sean Lamb wrote:

Dinos, eh?  Well the only thing left of them is typically...

BONES
Big Osseous Neoliths Explained by Scientists

Are you sure you mean Neoliths? My Chambers dictionary defines neolith as a Neolithic artefact, where Neolithic refers to the late Stone Age (which was, according to http://collections.ic.gc.ca/gardens/Horticulture/Time%20Line.htm, hundreds of millions of years after the dinosaurs died out) and an artefact is a thing made by human workmanship.

Sean Lamb

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2004, 03:32:56 PM »
> Are you sure you mean Neoliths?

When I was looking through the thesaurus, this had the closest meaning to artifact that started with N.

Now, to continue...

First, on the legal front...

Duhaime's only lists one legal term beginning with K, so here are a few for it...

KIN
Kan't Inherit from Neighbors
Kid's Into Naughtiness
Kinship Is Necessary

Now, dinosaurs always tend to be popular with the kids, so this one is pretty plain...

DINO
Down Is Not Out

But, I'm sure we're looking for something a little more complex (or at least more lengthy)...

DIPLODOCUS
Diplodocus Is Plainly Large.  One Dinosaur's Outrageous Corpulence Upsets Scientists.

Another fork?  Since I'm in Green Bay (WI) this weekend for a model railroad show, how about: Trains and Railroading (including models)

AMTRAK
Another Metro Train Rolls Along Keenly
(Amtrak is the national passenger carrier of the US)

Angela

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 10:44:07 PM »
>>> On 25 April 2004 03:32:56 UTC, Sean Lamb wrote:

> Are you sure you mean Neoliths?

When I was looking through the thesaurus, this had the closest meaning to artifact that started with N.

Sorry for being picky, but according to my dictionary, bones aren't artifacts! (They can be made into them, but I would guess that Neolithic people were no more likely to come across dinosaur bones than we are.)

KIN
Kan't Inherit from Neighbors

And while I'm being picky, I don't know about this one... two cheats (Kan't and the extra word) in one three-letter apronym. It's not up to your usual standard.

Now for my L word... believe it or not we don't even have an apronym for LAW yet.

Levelled Against Wrongdoing

LAWFUL CONDUCT
Love And War: Fair Until Lawyers Come, Openly Nicking Dollars Using Clever Tricks

Now for my dinosaur... it could do with improvement, but here's my ELASMOSAURUS:
Extreme Length And Size Made One Swimmer An Unusual Reptile Under Sea

Railroads? Oh, that's not fair, I know you have a collection of ready-made railroad apronyms! But this is an opportunity for the rest of us to learn more about them. Here's a company I hadn't heard about until about ten minutes ago:

BALFOUR BEATTY RAIL LIMITED
Big And Lucrative Frontrunner Of UK Rail Business. Electrification And Trackwork That You'd Readily Accept. It Looks Like Intensive 'Training' Exercises Delivered.

Sean Lamb

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2004, 10:31:06 AM »
>>> On 26 April 2004 10:44:07 UTC, Angela wrote:
> Sorry for being picky [snip]

Oh all right [hangs head in shame].  It is your site after all.  B-)  Public flogging with a wet noodle duly accepted.  Let's see if we can get some without cheats....

Now then, a legal term starting with M ...

MISTRIAL
Maybe It's Supposed To Result In A Liquidation

> Railroads? Oh, that's not fair, I know you have
> a collection of ready-made railroad apronyms!

Actually, only three that I can ever remember that I can't claim credit for:

C&NW (Chicago & North Western railroad, known for reusing anything that they could get their hands on)
Cheap & Nothing Wasted

O&W (Ontario & Western railroad; they've been around for so long they're...)
Old & Weary

SPSF (the failed Southern Pacific Santa Fe merger of the late 1980s; many pieces of rolling stock were painted for the merger before they had ICC approval to merge [which was eventually denied])
Shouldn't Paint So Fast

Now for mine, one starting with C...

CAMELBACK (a camelback locomotive is a steam engine where the control cab is wrapped around the middle of the boiler rather than at the rear end of it; smaller locomotives were also sometimes called "tea kettles")
Cab's About Middle. Engineer Looks Back And Controls Kettle.

Sean Lamb

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 06:29:58 AM »
Okay, two days later and two more apronyms...

NOTARY
Not One To Assign Rights Yet.

DEADMAN'S BUTTON
Device Employed As Defensive Mechanism Against Napping Staff By Using The Tension Of Normality

The Deadman's Button is a device installed in lomotives that must remain depressed by the engineer (usually under his/her foot) to prevent the brakes from being applied; the theory is that if the engineer had a lapse of consciousness (falling asleep, heart attack, whatever), his foot would come off the button, thus applying the brakes.

Care to add another fork?

Angela

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2004, 12:56:56 PM »
>>> On 28 April 2004 18:29:58 UTC, Sean Lamb wrote:

Care to add another fork?

We already have one, but you've forgotten about it! You didn't post an F'ing dinosaur (or a G'ing one.)

I would have pointed that out earlier but I haven't had time to finish the apronyms which I ought to be posting along with this reminder. I'll post two of each once you've caught up on your dinosaurs.