Author Topic: Alphabet equal opportunity  (Read 20441 times)

Sean Lamb

Alphabet equal opportunity
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2004, 01:26:28 AM »
>You didn't post an F'ing dinosaur (or a G'ing one.)

Doh!  Too wrapped up in getting other stuff done.  Here are a few make-ups (all found on http://www.dinodictionary.com)

FABROSAURUS
Fast, Agile Beast Relies On Skillful Adaptation Under Relatively Unfriendly Situations
(Fabrosaurus was a small, bipedal herbivore discovered in Africa that had five fingers on its hands)

FRENGUELLISAURUS
Few Reproductions Exist. Now Generally Unknown, Extremely Large Lizard Is Seen As Unusual Relative. Unknown Size
(Frenguellisaurus is judged to weigh about 770 pounds, based on fossils found so far.  However, its exact size isn't very well known, and it's not a name that rolls off the tongue of most schoolchildren)

GRAVITHOLUS
Generally Reported Alberta Vertebrate Is This Herbivore. Owns Large, Unusual Skull
(Gravitholus, discovered in Alberta, had a skull that was wider and thicker than others of the same age)

GENYODECTES
Greatly Erratic Noggin Yet Only Disconnected Evidence of Carnivore That Existed Southward
(Genyodectes was discovered in Argentina, but is only known from fragmentary skull remains)

Sean Lamb

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2004, 07:24:13 AM »
Here's another dino-related one, although on a much smaller scale and revisiting an earlier letter...

AMBER
Ancient Miniscule Bug's Encased Reliably

Sean Lamb

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2004, 03:29:43 AM »
Okay a few more days gone, maybe I can remember all of the topics and current letters this time?

OFFICER
One Fine Fellow Is Courtroom Employed Representative
(I haven't met a member of law enforcement that I didn't get along with yet)

ERIE
Erie Railroad Is Extinct
(the Erie Railroad, chartered in 1832, ran between New York City and Buffalo (on Lake Erie) until it was merged into the Erie Lackawanna in the 1950s and later Conrail, which has now been split between CSX and Norfolk Southern)

HAPLOCANTHOSAURUS
Huge Animal Probably Lived Off Cuttings And Not Tenderlons. Historically Often Seen Around Utah Region, United States
(Haplocanthosaurus was an herbivore; remains of this species have been found in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah)

Angela

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2004, 12:20:36 PM »
PLEA-BARGAINS
Protagonist's Lawyer Expects A Bad Answer, Reasons Guilty Announcement Induces Nicer Sentence

FAST TRACK
For A Shorter Transport Time, Railways Are Car Killers!

(Well, in some circumstances it's quicker to use a train.)

Dinodictionary.com is great... previously I'd been searching on Google for "A to Z" and the subject.

ISCHISAURUS
It Should Call Herrerasaurus Its Sister, Although Uncertain Relationship's Under Speculation

There is speculation that Ischisaurus may actually be the same genus as Herrerasaurus.

I owe one more of each since I posted without adding to the alphabet, but it will have to wait until I have more time.

Sean Lamb

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2004, 09:04:41 AM »
Goody!  Another Q word!

QUORUM
Qualified Unit Of Roughly United Minds

GRADE
Generally Railroads Aren't Deliberately Elevated
(The easiest tracks on which to control trains are perfectly level [with a 0% grade] and perfectly straight)

JAXARTOSAURUS
Just Another Xenomorph, A Reptile That Once Saw Action Under Roughly Ukranian Skies
(My dictionary defines xenomorph as a space alien, and some have theorized that dinos were originally aliens, so.... Jaxartosaurus was first discovered in Kazakhstan; it may not be the Ukraine, but it's a lot closer to there than Utah)

I like Quorum best out of these.

Angela

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2004, 10:02:26 PM »
RIGHTS
Regardless of Innocence/ Guilt, Humane Treatment's Sure.

HOT BOX
Help/Halt! Our Train's Becoming Overly Xerantic!

According to the glossary on http://trackbed.com, hot box refers to excessive heating of a plain bearing axlebox due often to a loss of adequate lubrication and which required the locomotive to be stopped before severe damage and possible derailment occurred.

KRITOSAURUS
Known Remains Indicate That Old Saurian Ate Undergrowth/Umbrage Rising Up Sunward

I'm not sure whether a kritosaurus would be more able to eat undergrowth or umbrage, but as a herbivore it's sure to eat one or the other.

Sean Lamb

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2004, 03:53:58 AM »

SLANDER
Spoken Libel And Now Defamation Endanger Rights

ILLINOIS CENTRAL
It's Like Long In New Orleans Is Sighing. Canadian Equipment, New Trains Running Around Louisiana
(Huey Long was governor of Louisiana earlier in the 20th century, and the Illinois Central, now owned by Canadian National, was well-known for the passenger train "The City of New Orleans" [remember the song made famous by Arlo Guthrie?])

LESOTHOSAURUS
Light, Extra Small One That Had Open Skeleton And Usually Ran Under Shrubs
(DinoDictionary says that this small dino "was probably an agile, two-legged runner based on slender, hollow, thin walled bones, a light skull with many openings, a short neck and forelimbs and the absence of armor.")

Angela

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2004, 11:04:20 PM »
It's about time I continued the game...

TRIAL
Tricky Reasoning Is Almost Laughable
Two Rival Ideas About Law
To Rally/Reconcile Interpretations And Loopholes

JUNCTION
Jumbled Underground Network Comes Together Into One Nexus

All dinosaurs lived in the MESOZOIC ERA:
Magical Era, Something Only Zoologists Or Impetuous Children Ever Really Appreciate

Sean Lamb

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2004, 07:03:19 AM »
And I was just stopping by to see if anyone had posted more so I could continue...  B-)

UIFSA
Ultimatum Insures Families Secure Alimony
UIFSA really stands for the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, an act that will enable the state that issues the first support order to have jusrisdiction over the payor (sic) regardless of which state the payor resides in.  I used "Families" instead of "Fathers" because there are quite a few deadbeat moms out there with the deadbeat dads (growing up with a father prosecuting child support cases taught me that lawbreaking is an "equal opportunity employer").

KETTLE
Keeping Engineers Tooting Their Little Engines
A kettle (an abbreviation of tea-kettle) refers to any very small steam locomotive, usually one without a tender.

NOASAURUS
North Of Argentina, Scientists Amazingly Uncovered Remains Uniquely Saurian
The Noasaurus was discovered in the northern region of Argentina; it's claws featured a unique lifting tendon.
I had originally thought of using "Some Archaeologist" for the SA portion, but an archaeologist studies past human life, and not generally animal life.

Angela

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2004, 08:15:43 PM »
VERDICT
Voices Eleven's Reasoned Decision In Criminal Trial

(This is assuming that an 11 to 1 majority decision is accepted, as I understand it is in some countries. I was considering 'Eventually Reached...' but I like this one better.)

LOCOMOTIVE
Lone Operating Carriage, Others Move Only Through/Trailing Its Vigorous Engine

ORNITHISCHIA
Old Reptiles Noteworthy In That Hips Imitate Surviving Creatures' In Air

I'm not too happy with that one yet.

Sean Lamb

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2004, 03:30:36 AM »
For the legal entry, we always see cartoon characters writing them...

WILL
What Is Last Left
Writer Is LifeLess

Yeah, the second is pushing it, but it seemed to fit.

For trains, here are a few for different steam locomotive types:

MALLET
Massive Articulated Locomotive, Large Engineering Triumph
(The mallet type refers to any articulated steam locomotive; two sets of drive wheels under one boiler, with the front set on a pivot to get around turns easier; the design was first implemented by Anatole Mallet [ref: http://loggingmallets.railfan.net/sub/malletinfo.htm]

MOGUL
Mindful Of Gyrating, Uneven Lines
(the Mogul was one of the first wheel arrangements to include an unpowered axle before the drive axles; the unpowered axle helped guide the drive axles into a curve)

MASTODON
Massive And Stable-Treaded, One Design Over None
(The mastodon type, with two unpowered lead axles and four drive axles, was billed as the perfect answer to really heavy-duty hauling in the 1880s)

MOUNTAIN
Mastodon's Outdone Using New Trailing Axle, Improving Numbers
(the mountain type was a one-up of the mastodon by including a single unpowered trailing axle to support a larger firebox, giving the type even greater pulling power)

MIKADO
Made It, Kept Another Delivery Option
(The first locomotive of this type was built for export to Japan, to be delivered to the Mikado; however, WWII negated the delivery and all of the deliveries were redirected to US customers)

Finally, for dinos, how about...
PROTOCERATOPS
Prehistoric Relative Of Triceratops, One Chinese Excavation Reveals Another Treasure Of Prehistoric Science
(the protoceratops, considered to be a precursor of other horned dinos, was discovered in China and Mongolia; it is one of only a handful of creatures where scientists have found evidence from eggs through adulthood)

Sean Lamb

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2004, 03:51:02 AM »
Ooh, a couple hard ones again.  Let's see...

(law)
XENOPHOBE
Xenophobes Enjoy Noting Other People Holding Old Biases Everlasting.
(http://august1.com/pubs/dict/ is the only legal dictionary online that I've seen with entries under X, including this one.  Since a xenophobe is biased against alien residents, one would need others with similar biases to rationalize such views.)

(trains)
NARROW GAUGE
Non-Average Rail Ratio, One Working Grade And Unusual Gauge Examples
("Gauge" refers to the distance between the rails.  Standard Gauge in North America is 4' 8.5", Narrow Gauge is anythin less than that, most commonly 3'; narrow gauge railroads often contain tighter curves and steeper grades than their standard gauge counterparts).

(dinos)
QUAESITOSAURUS
Quite Unusual Auricle Exemplifies Sauropod;
Idividual Traces Of Skull Are Uncovered, Researchers Use Science
(This dino, known by partial skull fossils, had an structures that indicated unusually sensitive hearing)

Sean Lamb

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2004, 06:26:04 AM »
(law)
YOUNG OFFENDER
Years Of Untold Neglect Generated One Fledgling Felon. Especially Needs Direct Effective Rehabilitation
(I only wish I could fit "juvenile" into that expansion)

(trains)
ON THE LAW
One Night They Had Extra Labor And Wages
(A train crew is "on the law" when they have exceeded their allowed work time between rest periods)

(dinos)
REBBACHISAURUS
Really Exceptional Beast Became A Creature Hidden In Sahran Africa Under Rigid Unsandy Sand
(Rebbachisaurus was discovered in the Saharan area of northern Africa; after so many millions of years, sand gets packed down into rigid structures)

Okay, so we're about to hit the end of the law thread, how about another fork?  Let's try visual arts and artists (e.g. painting, sculpture, photography, etc.)

ART
A Rendered Thought

ARTIST
After Rendering The Image, Sculpture's Touted

Angela

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2004, 11:08:28 PM »
I haven't had much free time for apronymising lately, I hope you do not have ZERO TOLERANCE
Zap Experimental Rounds Of Thievery, Offender's Liberty Encourages Repeated And Nastier Criminal Exploits.

I'd like to work in Repeat Offender or One-Time Offender somehow.

(trains)
PUBLIC TRANSPORT
People Using Busses Locked In Commuter Traffic Repent, At Next Stop Purchase One Rail Ticket.

(dinosaurs)
SCIENTIFIC METHOD
Some Creationists Insist Even Now That Investigating Fossils Is Chicanery/Conspiracy. Ministers Explain The Heresy Of Dinosaurs.

(art)
BONE CARVING
Brush On Nature's Every Canvas, And Recycle Vertebrae Into Neverending Gift

Sean Lamb

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2004, 05:37:54 AM »
(trains)
QUICK-ACTING BRAKE
Quickly Used, Its Caboose Kills Acceleration Creating Traction In Need. Good Brakes Really Avoid Killing Engineers.
(http://www.geocities.com/gold27ca/gloss1a.html defines this as "A Modification by George Westinghouse of his automatic air-brake for quicker response at the rear of a train."  Many train crews have been killed by runaways when the brakes failed)

(dinosaurs)
TECHNOSAURUS
Texas Excavation Creates Hoopla. New Ornithischian Sauropod Artifacts Uncovered Right Under Sand
(Technosaurus was discovered near Lubbock, Texas, and is classed as an Ornithischian)

(art)
CANVAS
Creative Artists Need Vacant Art Slates
(most paintings that I've seen are on canvas, after all)