Author Topic: honours.  (Read 7349 times)

Tony

honours.
« on: March 04, 2001, 11:33:43 AM »
I agree with the ArchAngel Angela.

As a basic series of ground rules:
: Acronyms 'ought' to be real words, or at least common usage of non-words,
: Expansions 'ought' to made of real words,
: Acronyms 'ought' to be more than one letter long

sub-rules
: Acronyms should be spelt correctly whenever possible
: misspellings are permitted in the expansion if it improves the fun/sense/explanation/aptness of the acronym
: modifying existing acronyms is not 'really' acceptable.... "AA", "CIA" etc... if all you are doing is playing with the original words. (e.g in view of the series of spies uncovered, one could posit that CIA = Communist Intelligence Agency, but it wouldn't really be creative.

A propos of the Alcoholics Acronymize: those two words - in any combination - are the personal property of Tony! (see the stack for details).  :-)

The ZZZ and ZZZZ should really not be in the stack.... nor should the ZZZZZZZZZZZZMT.

Jeff

honours.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2001, 04:51:42 PM »
CIA: Creepy Industrial Anarchists

does that count?

Angela Brett

honours.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2001, 05:23:48 PM »
Well, I guess you were asking Tony, but since all three words are new it wouldn't be rejected on the grounds of being uncreative. But can the CIA really be described as being industrial?

>>> On 04 March 2001 15:51:42 NZST, Jeff wrote:

does that count?

Tony

honours.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2001, 02:18:20 AM »
Jeff wrote:
does that count?

And then Angela Brett wrote:
Well, I guess you were asking Tony, but since all three words are new it wouldn't be rejected on the grounds of being uncreative. But can the CIA really be described as being industrial?

Tony replies:
Good point Ange!
The expansion doesn't "suit" the acronym. Given that it is a law unto itself, and does things many would find unpalatable/illegal/sinful, it would be more likely that "Completely Immoral Agency" would suit

Angela Brett

honours.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2001, 12:44:04 PM »
This would be a good time to remind people that before submitting an acronym, especially if the acronym is an attempt at getting an honour, acronymists should read the acronym submission guidelines at http://acronyms.co.nz/guidelines.html

If you disagree with something in the guidelines, or have an idea on how to add to or improve them, email me or post your suggestion on these forums.

Nanker Phelge

honours.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 08:16:31 AM »
HONOURS
Honouring Old Nimble-One Upset Rolling Stone

I see that Keef is miffed that Mick accepted a gong - because of 'pressure' from Tony Blair!