Author Topic: WELCOME BACK ANGELA  (Read 7192 times)

Jeff

WELCOME BACK ANGELA
« on: October 12, 2004, 03:09:04 PM »
Was Europe Lovely?  Canada Offers Many Experiences.  But Angela, Creative Kiwi, Absent Negates Goodtimes Everywhere -- Let's Apronymise!

Tony

WELCOME BACK ANGELA
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 06:19:28 AM »
BEEN AWAY?
Betcha Everyone Else Noticed Around-World Absence, Yeah?

Angela

WELCOME BACK ANGELA
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 03:00:40 PM »
THANKS, I HAD A GREAT TRIP (this could actually be split into two after THANKS)

They Have Announced Nice Kind Sentiments. I'm Home And Delighted About Global Roaming Except, Alas, That The Revelry Is Past.

THANKS, I HAD A GREAT TRIP... NOW TO CATCH UP ON A BAJILLION APRONYM SUBMISSIONS.

The Holiday Aftermath... Now Kiwi Sits In Home And Diligently Adds Great Recent Expansions,

All The Time Remembering In-Person Networking On World Tour. Office Calls Angela To Code

Humbly Using PCs, Oh, Not Again! But Apple Junket Invigorated Language-Learning Ideas Of

Next Application Program! Regrettably Only Nighttime Yield -- Maybe Someday, Unfettered By

Monetary Imperative Seeking Salary, I'll Output New Software.

At WWDC I found out about several things in the next version of Mac OS X which will be very useful for my next Cocoa app, but as I have to go back to my Windows job to replenish my bank account after such a long trip, I won't have much time to actually write the app.

Jeff

WELCOME BACK ANGELA
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 05:53:56 PM »
I am giving consideration to a new iMac G5 soon -- should I wait for 10.4?                       >>> On 13 October 2004 02:00:40 UTC, Angela wrote:

THANKS, I HAD A GREAT TRIP (this could actually be split into two after THANKS)

They Have Announced Nice Kind Sentiments. I'm Home And Delighted About Global Roaming Except, Alas, That The Revelry Is Past.

THANKS, I HAD A GREAT TRIP... NOW TO CATCH UP ON A BAJILLION APRONYM SUBMISSIONS.

The Holiday Aftermath... Now Kiwi Sits In Home And Diligently Adds Great Recent Expansions,

All The Time Remembering In-Person Networking On World Tour. Office Calls Angela To Code

Humbly Using PCs, Oh, Not Again! But Apple Junket Invigorated Language-Learning Ideas Of

Next Application Program! Regrettably Only Nighttime Yield -- Maybe Someday, Unfettered By

Monetary Imperative Seeking Salary, I'll Output New Software.

At WWDC I found out about several things in the next version of Mac OS X which will be very useful for my next Cocoa app, but as I have to go back to my Windows job to replenish my bank account after such a long trip, I won't have much time to actually write the app.

Angela

WELCOME BACK ANGELA
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 10:57:46 PM »
I have a developer pre-release of 10.4 installed on an external hard disk, but I have not had much time to play with it yet.

As a developer I'll be very glad to get the final release of 10.4, because the features I intend to use in my next app are not fully functional yet in the pre-release. As a user, I did find myself missing Spotlight and the dashboard (on which I had clocks showing multiple timezones, useful since I wasn't in my native timezone) when I booted back into 10.3.5. The Spotlight thing in the System Preferences is cool too, because sometimes I forget which pane something is in. I wish I could do that on Windows, where settings are usually put in much more obscure places (such as in the 'Preferences' window opened by clicking a 'Configure' button on the 'Settings' tab of the 'Customise' window opened from the 'Options' menu item -- which is usually accompanied by Customise and Settings menu items just to make sure I don't open the right one -- in the 'Tools' menu...) But then of course I'd probably have the dilemma of whether to use the 'Search' command or the 'Find' command to use it. Windows programmers need to be taught to use the thesaurus only for good!

But I digress. 10.4 does have some neat features, however 10.3.5 is fine. It's certainly not so bad that you should put off buying a new Mac just to get the next version. In fact, being an X.y.5 it probably has fewer problems than an X.y.0 release. There's a saying out there somewhere (which I've ignored with no detrimental consequences, YMMV) advising never to get a .0 release. On the other hand, you'll probably want to buy 10.4 anyway eventually, so I suppose if you wait until you can get a Mac with it preinstalled you'll be getting it for free. The last I heard it's coming out in January, so you don't have long to wait.

This is of course rather off-topic for the Apronyms forums, so I'll throw in this one:

TIGER: The Insanely Great Expected Release

Tony

WELCOME BACK ANGELA
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 11:41:55 PM »
>>> On 14 October 2004 09:57:46 UTC, Angela wrote:
> TIGER: The Insanely Great Expected Release

The following expansion is inaccurate, at present, but will be rectified eventually by events ;-)
TIGER (2)
This Is Generating Extra Revenue.

Angela

WELCOME BACK ANGELA
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 08:34:22 AM »
This is part of a work in progress, but I'll post what I've done so far -- apronyms of places I visited, of course.

SAN FRANCISCO
Saw Alex, Nearly Fainted, Ran Away... Nah, Clearly I'm Saying Complete Offal.

(I met my internet friend Alex in San Francisco... he's not really that scary.)

Saw Apple's/ NeXT's Founder Reveal All-New Cocoa Interface Stuff -- Crowd Overjoyed/Overawed

Seeing Apple News For Real, After No Confirmed Internet Spoilers Came Out

(I usually watch a keynote like that a few hours after it happens, after I've already read the announcements on Apple's website.)

Such A Nerd, Found Rambling About Nirvana (Campus In Sunny Cupertino) Online

(At the WWDC Apple Campus Bash I went online and told my friends where I was.)

Several Awesome New Friends, Reports About New Computer Ideas, Software (Confidential Offering!)

(Confidential Offering referring to the developer preview of Tiger.)

PAISLEY: Perfect, Although It's Small... Like Embryo/ Young

KILLARNEY: Keep It Like Left Alone, Renewing Naturally Every Year

NIAGARA FALLS: Nikon Is As Good As Ruined, As Falling Actually Looped Liquid Skyward
or After Fine Although L(i'l help)...? Liquid Spray

WIARTON WILLIE: Woodchuck Is Albino, Raised To Offer News Winter Is Longer, Like Is Expected. (or Lives In Enclosure.)

When I Actually Roamed To Ontario, Notorious Woodchuck Indeed Looked Lively In Enclosure.

See Patricia's WIARTON expansion if you have never heard of Wiarton Willie.

DUBLIN: Don't Usually Build Like It Nowadays
Despite Umpteen Bridges, Liffey Inhibits Natives

(Supposedly there is rivalry between people from different sides of the River Liffey.)

GRAVITY BAR: Guinness Room's Awesome View Impresses Tourists, Your Beers Are Ready.

Angela

WELCOME BACK ANGELA
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 09:20:33 PM »
TORONTO, CANADA: The Ontario Residence Of Nearly Tenth Of Country, And Near America! Don't  Ask.

(Seems odd that something like 6% of the population lives in a city so near the Argumentative Multitude Encamped Right In Canada's Arse)

AMSTERDAM: Any Marijuana Smoker That Ever Rolled Dreams About Metropolis
ST GOAR: Somewhere To Go On A Roadtrip
Somewhere To Get Off And Rest (My Contiki tour stopped there for a night, I think it was only because we couldn't get to Munich that day)