Author Topic: Welcome to Rob Rix  (Read 8080 times)

Tony

Welcome to Rob Rix
« on: November 24, 2001, 01:15:41 PM »
Hi there and welcome,

You may have already seen reference made to some of the semi-imaginery rules on acronymising. These rules are there (if they are there at all) for the guidance of experienced acronymisers and the frustration of newbies.

One which has not been mentioned previously is the 29th of February Rule which - if it were a real rule - would state that one should not use the word one is expanding in the expansion.

Rob Rix wrote
> Acronym: GOWANSTOWN
> Expansion: Gowanstown, Oh What A Name! Surely That Only Was Nonsense.
> Credit: Rob Rix [In Category: Places:Towns & Cities]

Never having been to beautiful downtown Gowanstown I would venture to suggest that locals might offer ....
God's Own Wonderland And No-One Should Tease Our Wonderful Name

:-)

Virgil

Welcome to Rob Rix
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2001, 03:30:43 PM »
Would anyone here venture to the publication of all defined rules on these forums?

--Virgil

Rob Rix

Welcome to Rob Rix
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2001, 03:52:57 PM »
> Hi there and welcome,

Hi!

> You may have already seen reference made to some of the semi-imaginery rules on acronymising. These rules are there (if they are there at all) for the guidance of experienced acronymisers and the frustration of newbies.

I'd not seen reference, but I'll keep that in mind should I feel any particular desire to be frustrated.

>One which has not been mentioned previously is the 29th of February Rule which - if it were a real rule - would state that one should not use the word one is expanding in the expansion.

Heh, okay, I'll keep it in mind. My Mother and I do it out of habit when we're coming up with acronyms for locations around here.

> God's Own Wonderland And No-One Should Tease Our Wonderful Name

Beautiful :)

It's not a bad place, actually. It just reminded me of a grade-school teacher I knew...

Anyhow, thanks for the greeting. Good day to you!

-- Rob

Jeff Anonymous

Welcome to Rob Rix
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2001, 06:01:20 PM »
Apparently this "Virgil" has no desire to disclose his true electronic mail account...my friendly neighborhood @Home System Administrator says, via bounce back letter, that host greek.forum does not exist.  Poor guy must be paranoid.

Virgil: Re Gurgitated Ilectronic Letter.

(Yah, St. Val's rule and cheating problems in the same, but it's late, I have no caffeine, and there's tryptophan or whatnot in turkey)

Angela

Welcome to Rob Rix
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2001, 06:54:18 PM »
I'll take a leaf out of Rob's tree for this one:

Virgil Is Really Great Irish Literator

In other words, I'm guessing it's Tony again. Jeff, do you realise that you not only cheated terribly, but you missed out an iWord?

>>> On 24 November 2001 05:01:20 UTC, Jeff Anonymous wrote:

Apparently this "Virgil" has no desire to disclose his true electronic mail account...my friendly neighborhood @Home System Administrator says, via bounce back letter, that host greek.forum does not exist.  Poor guy must be paranoid.

Tony

Welcome to Rob Rix
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2001, 10:51:26 PM »
>>> On 24 November 2001 05:54:18 UTC, Angela wrote:

I'll take a leaf out of Rob's tree for this one:

Virgil Is Really Great Irish Literator

In other words, I'm guessing it's Tony again. Jeff, do you realise that you not only cheated terribly, but you missed out an iWord?

Tony here.
I am not Virgil - honest, but he/she did ask a good question. "Would anyone here venture to the publication of all defined rules on these forums?"

My immediate response is to expand "I VENTURE TO SAY" in a fitting way...
I'm Very Eager Not To Undertake Rule Elucidation - They're Only Standard Acronymic Yardsticks

Semi-imaginary rules could never be codified.. and besides - we don't know they're rules until someone breaks one of them ;-)

Rob Rix

Welcome to Rob Rix
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2001, 12:26:47 AM »
> Semi-imaginary rules could never be codified.. and besides - we don't know they're rules until someone breaks one of them ;-)

So I performed a public service by means of my Gowanstown acronym!

*bows*

-- Rob

Jeff

Welcome to Rob Rix
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2001, 09:08:01 AM »
Oops.  so replace the : with Is :)

I was quite tired that night.