Author Topic: The Acronymists' Charter  (Read 10733 times)

Tony

The Acronymists' Charter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2001, 01:47:46 PM »
:-)
I am shocked that none of you has taken it upon yourself to 'do' this subject......

THE ACRONYMISTS' CHARTER

Take Heed Everyone And Carefully Read Our Necessary Yardstick Manifesto (Imaginary Sometimes - Theoretical Sometimes) Contained Herein Are Rules That Everybody Recognises

Christina

The Acronymists' Charter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 05:52:51 AM »

>>> On 24 November 2001 06:39:45 UTC, Angela wrote:

With the help of Sherlock's content search, I've found all references to rules on the forums to date. Some of them are imaginary and/or irrational rules, others actual sensible ones which perhaps should be in the submission guidelines at http://acronyms.co.nz/guidelines.html. Here they are:

<Angela> Rule pi+6i of the Acronym Code implicitly states that all capitalised words should be acronymised.

<Tony>As a basic series of ground rules:
: Acronyms 'ought' to be real words, or at least common usage of non-words,
: Expansions 'ought' to made of real words,
: Acronyms 'ought' to be more than one letter long

sub-rules
: Acronyms should be spelt correctly whenever possible
: misspellings are permitted in the expansion if it improves the fun/sense/explanation/aptness of the acronym
: modifying existing acronyms is not 'really' acceptable.... 'AA', 'CIA' etc... if all you are doing is playing with the original words. (e.g in view of the series of spies uncovered, one could posit that CIA = Communist Intelligence Agency, but it wouldn't really be creative.

<Tony> FORUM POST: Follow Our Rules!!! Use - Mostly - Properly Operated Spelling Techniques!

<Angela> Just to clarify rule ei+ei+0 of the Acronymist Charter... there is no requirement to expand capitalisations which are already acronyms.

<Jeff> Perhaps it should be further clarified to solely exempt capitalisations listed by acronymfinder.com?  :)

<Angela> No, then we wouldn't even be able to mention our own ACRONYMS without having to re-expand them. ei+ei+0 might be irrational, but it's not that silly.

<Tony> Pardon my ignorance, but where does ei+ei+0 come from? I know what it means, I just don't remember seeing it before. It's a good job it's not in caps or it might have to stand for "Explain It + Expand It + Observe"

PS.
It means that this is one of the few places on the web where "SHOUTING*" is acceptable, but it carries a high price ;-)

IF YOU PUT A WORD IN CAPS YOU MUST ACRONYMISE IT

In Future You Obey Us! Please Undertake To Acronymise Words (Of Recent Design) Into Novel/Comedic Acronyms. Please Say You'll Observe Uniformity. Most Users Subscribe To Agreement:- Capitals Required? Okay, Now You Must Instantly Spell-out Expansion In Text.

<Angela> ei+ei+0 is the number of that rule in the acronymists' charter. The number and its rule are both irrational and imaginary, but it seems people haven't noticed that and have followed the rule anyway. :)

<Jeff> ...I was referencing rule (pi)*3i of the Acronymists Charter, which clearly states that all capitalisations should be acronymised.  Of course, this too is irrational and semificticious...

<Angela> An imaginary rule can create desire, but not obligation.

<Angela> Oh, I thought that rule pi*3i (which is completely imaginary, no semi- about it!) had been erased in favour of ei+ei+0. I guess I wasn't paying attention at the last conference. Rule pi*3i is even more irrational than ei+ei+0 since it means we can't even refer to our own previous creations without redoing them, which makes me wonder if perhaps ei+ei+0 should be renamed to a nice untranscendental (yet still irrational) number like iphi. It all seems a bit iffy though.

<Tony> Surely all these petty rules are dependent on one obeying the universal rule of 'Nyah nyah, nyah nyah nyah!' - which reads 'Do it bigger, do it better, do it first, and you can overlook all subsequent rules.' This rule is so primal that it is numbered -1.

<Jeff> The semi is there for one reason...a rule that is part of a nonexistant body is semiexistant if said rule has a definition.

<Jeff> Perchance If Thou Inexplicably Mutters Expandable Shoutings, Thou Hasto Really Expand 'Em Immediately!

Jeff Anonymous, rationalizing semi-imaginary rule pi*3i, which states that all things rendered in capitals on the Acronyms fora must be acronymised.

<Tony> One which has not been mentioned previously is the 29th of February Rule which - if it were a real rule - would state that one should not use the word one is expanding in the expansion.

So, it looks like we have:

Rule pi+6i: all capitalised words should be acronymised.

Rule pi*3i: all capitalisations should be acronymised.

Rule ei+ei+0: IF YOU PUT A WORD IN CAPS YOU MUST ACRONYMISE IT. (See expansion) There is no requirement to expand capitalisations which are already acronyms.

29th of February Rule: one should not use the word one is expanding in the expansion.

Tony's rules and sub-rules above don't have rule numbers, and some are mentioned in the submission guidelines. They are perhaps too sensible for this thread, but if anyone wants to assign them appropriate numbers then they can be included in the Charter rather than the guidelines.
I am wrtting a paper thingy about acronyms, but i dont know anything about them. HELP!!

Tony

The Acronymists' Charter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 06:26:09 AM »
Christina wrote:

I am wrtting a paper thingy about acronyms, but i dont know anything about them. HELP!!

Ask and you shall receive!
What do you need to know?
Or, what do you think you don't know?
You can ask here, or you could email me at the address above.
Please give as much information as you think appropiate when you ask.

We love to help.