Author Topic: Help! Need an acronym  (Read 11970 times)

Gavin Lambert

Help! Need an acronym
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2001, 07:27:58 PM »
Angela quoth:
<<<<<
Reads Each Virtual Experimental Life Agent, Translating Into Original Notation

or

Reads Each Visible Electronic Life Agent, Translating Into Original Notation.
>>>>>

"Reads Each Virtual Electronic Life Agent, Translating Into Original Notation".  That sounds perfect!  (at least until someone comes up with a better one :])

<<<<<
It also made me think 'Well, maybe we should meet! I can't afford to get to Ireland yet but I wonder where in NZ this Gavin is'
>>>>>

I'm in Auckland.

Angela

Help! Need an acronym
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2001, 10:27:36 PM »
>>> On 17 December 2001 06:27:58 UTC, Gavin Lambert wrote:

I'm in Auckland.

so on that same day, Angela, who was not at all surprised, replied:

So am I - well, the North Shore anyway. There's quite a high concentration of acronymists in Auckland compared with the rest of the world, mainly because that's where my family and friends live.

Gavin Lambert

Help! Need an acronym
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2001, 12:41:06 AM »
<<<<<
So am I - well, the North Shore anyway. There's quite a high concentration of acronymists in Auckland compared with the rest of the world, mainly because that's where my family and friends live.
>>>>>

Me too.  I'm in Milford, specifically.  And I found your site through a general (world-wide) internet search, so it wasn't word-of-mouth :)

Angela Brett

Help! Need an acronym
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2001, 02:05:51 AM »
I'm in the area known as either Bayswater, Belmont, Devonport or Takapuna. It's almost a pity you didn't find out about the site through word of mouth, since that would have meant a trail of other people you heard it through would know about it too.

What were you searching for? A web search for 'acronyms' usually yields a few pages of links to other web sites before this one. However, I've noticed that searching for my name brings up many pages about me or with acronyms by me before pages about the other Angela Bretts. Search for the name of any hall-of-fame acronymist and the first link you get tends to be, 'Acronyms by <name>' I doubt that gets me any traffic though, so it would be interesting to know which search terms did lead you to this site.

Jeff Anonymous

Help! Need an acronym
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2001, 05:06:17 AM »
The best acronymists come from Ireland though.  (I've run across one or two in Nebraska though, mainly Balderdash players I've tried to convert from their more zany form of wordplay)

Tony

Help! Need an acronym
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2001, 01:51:50 PM »
>>> On 23 December 2001 16:06:17 UTC, Jeff Anonymous wrote:

> The best acronymists come from Ireland though.

This is very, very true in the singular, but I'm not so sure about the plural!  ;-)

> I've run across one or two in Nebraska though
Run across?
MOTOR ACCIDENT
Met One/Two Others Recently As Car Crashed Into Drinkers Exiting Nebraskan Tavern?

Gavin Lambert

Help! Need an acronym
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2001, 06:46:15 PM »
<<<<<
I'm in the area known as either Bayswater, Belmont, Devonport or Takapuna. It's almost a pity you didn't find out about the site through word of mouth, since that would have meant a trail of other people you heard it through would know about it too.
>>>>>

Ah.  Relatively nearby, but not especially so :)  I've got relatives living in Devonport, too.

<<<<<
What were you searching for? A web search for 'acronyms' usually yields a few pages of links to other web sites before this one.
>>>>>

I can't remember my exact search terms... I think I was searching for something like "creating acronyms" or "writing acronyms".  Yours wasn't the first site (I think it came in around 25th), but all the others were obviously not what I was looking for.  They were mostly lists of established jargon acronyms, rather than a way to get help writing my own (rather obscure) one.

Speaking of which, I'm just about to release my new extraction program (dubbed REVELATION - Reads Each Virtual Electronic Life Agent, Translating Into Original Notation).  Most of that name was my own design, but since I've incorporated a few suggestions from here I've included a link from its website to yours.  So you might get a few more visitors that way :)