Author Topic: My favourite books  (Read 6988 times)

Angela

My favourite books
« on: February 09, 2002, 12:28:45 AM »
There are a few books which I love and I think everyone should read, and I want to acronymise them to spread the word. One of them is Supernature by Lyall Watson, which I have only read once, some time ago. Perhaps I wouldn't like it so much if I read it again now, but here's the acronym:

SUPERNATURE: Science Used Progressively Entering Realms Nearly Always Thought Unscientific. Reasoning's Engaging.

One of my favourite novels is The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder. It's a fantastic story within a story within a story, with everything intertwined in unguessable ways. Here are some characters from the book - they're a bit difficult to explain without giving away parts of the mystery, so I'd advise reading the book. :)

HANS THOMAS: His Autobiographic Novel Spans Two Hundred Or More Autumn Seasons!

FRODE: Fiftyish Residents Of Deck Encarnalised/Enlivened

MAMA: Meaningfully, Athinai Mirrored Anita.

(Hans Thomas's mother Anita went to Athens to find herself, and Hans Thomas notices that the sign 'Athinai' is almost Anita backwards.)

Metaphorically Amorously Marked Ace.
(Hans Thomas's mother is connected with the Ace of Hearts)

DWARF/JOKER: Distinctly Wary About Rainbow Fizz - Jeroboam Of Knowledge Eventually Ruins.

LINE: Left Impregnated, Not Estimable.
(Line is Hans Thomas's grandmother, who became pregnant to a German soldier and was hated for it)

ALBERT KLAGES: Another Link Between Epochs - Relays Tale Knowing Little About Game's Eventual Signification

and finally, a town around which much of the story is centred:
DORF: Destination Of Rainbow Fizz

There are other characters which I'm still working on.

Another book I like is The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster. I suppose it's a children's story, but crammed full of puns - every saying is taken literally. It's delightful. I intend to acronymise the names of the chapters.

If any of you have read these books, feel free to help. If you haven't, feel free to read them. :)

Jeff

My favourite books
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 04:46:50 AM »
<angela>
Another book I like is The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster. I suppose it's a children's story, but crammed full of puns - every saying is taken literally. It's delightful. I intend to acronymise the names of the chapters.
</Angela>

That was a funny book as I recall...yes, all sayings taken literally to their most hilarious level.  One thing that isn't though is a boy's name.  May I Loudly Object?  Surely the author could come up with a more hilarious name than Milo for a protagonist in such a funny book...ah balderdash, as soon as I am back I am criticizing literature in acronymistic form

Tony

My favourite books
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2002, 10:04:38 AM »
Jeff wrote:

> One thing that isn't though is a boy's name.  May I Loudly Object?  
> Surely the author could come up with a more hilarious name than Milo for a protagonist in such a funny book

What's wrong with the name "Milo"?
I know of only two Milos, one real one fictional. The real one was an Irish actor of great comic genius - Milo O'Shea; and the other was the character in Catch 22 Milo Minderbinder.

Jeff Anonymous

My favourite books
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2002, 03:32:32 PM »
<tony>
What's wrong with the name "Milo"?
I know of only two Milos, one real one fictional. The real one was an Irish actor of great comic genius - Milo O'Shea; and the other was the character in Catch 22 Milo Minderbinder.
</tony>

Nothing wrong with the name "Milo," rather something wrong with naming the protagonist of _The Phantom Tollbooth_ that, it's such a simple-sounding name...

Angela

My favourite books
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2002, 10:55:16 AM »
<Jeff>Nothing wrong with the name "Milo," rather something wrong with naming the protagonist of _The Phantom Tollbooth_ that, it's such a simple-sounding name...</Jeff>

Well, he did have a simple, boring life before he got the tollbooth. Can you think of a better name?

Or better, can you think of any other acronyms for things in the book?

Angela

My favourite books
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2002, 11:32:55 AM »
Another character from The Solitaire Mystery:

BAKER HANS - Befriends Albert Klages, Eventually Recounts His Adventure 'N' Shipwreck.

I don't like the naction (see Liff) but I can't think of anything better right now.

Tony

My favourite books
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2002, 12:24:25 PM »
Angela wrote:

> Another character from The Solitaire Mystery:

> BAKER HANS - Befriends Albert Klages, Eventually Recounts His Adventure 'N' Shipwreck.

> I don't like the naction (see Liff) but I can't think of anything better right now.

How about a wee cheat - 'Ncluding

'Ngela

My favourite books
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2002, 12:48:14 PM »

>>> On 25 February 2002 23:24:25 UTC, Tony wrote:

How about a wee cheat - 'Ncluding

Well, it has one fewer ' than 'N' so it must be better. :^)

Now that you've contributed to an acronym related to The Solitaire Mystery, people will think you've read it... so you'd better read it! (It's a great book.)

Angela

My favourite books
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2002, 12:49:54 PM »
By the way, I like the time on your post, Tony! 23:24:25