Author Topic: Sanity's Obviously Subjective!  (Read 7120 times)

Angela

Sanity's Obviously Subjective!
« on: March 05, 2002, 10:52:52 PM »
I've just been chatting to Steve and we came up with several expansions for SOS:

Steve came up with:
Side Open, Sinking
Some Obscure Signal
Several Obituaries Soon
Signal Of Stress
Sea Opened, Swallowed

Me:
Stupid Ocean Swells!
Several Overboard Seamen
Sending Out Screams
Splitting Our Seams
Stay Out, Sea!
Stop Our Suffering!

We both thought of Sh*tting Our Selves!

The problem is, in which category do these acronyms belong? They're not re-expansions of an existing acronym as I originally thought. Should they be in People & Relationships?

On a different subject, while looking up SOS in the dictionary I came across the word 'spae' and quickly acronymised it so I wouldn't forget the meaning.

Scottish: Predict An Event

Tony

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2002, 04:03:58 AM »
Angela wrote:

> I've just been chatting to Steve and we came up with several expansions for SOS:

> The problem is, in which category do these acronyms belong? They're not re-expansions of an existing acronym as I originally thought. Should they be in People & Relationships?

If they're not re-expansions of an existing ack, then SOS is not a word - it is never pronounced as a word, always as a series of three letters ess-oh-ess.

Angela

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2002, 11:25:27 AM »

>>> On 05 March 2002 15:03:58 UTC, Tony wrote:

If they're not re-expansions of an existing ack, then SOS is not a word - it is never pronounced as a word, always as a series of three letters ess-oh-ess.

It may not be a word, but it is still in the dictionary and has a meaning, so it's eligible for expansion. And when it is used and not just mentioned in casual conversation, it is 'pronounced' ..._ _ _...

However, I'm not going to expand dotdotdotdashdashdashdotdotdot, since you didn't expand ess-oh-ess.

Tony

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2002, 11:45:30 AM »
Angela wrote:

> However, I'm not going to expand dotdotdotdashdashdashdotdotdot, since you didn't expand ess-oh-ess.

Okay....
Digital Operator Taps Distress Out To Direct Operations Towards Diverting All Shipping. Help During A Squall/Hurricane - Dispatch A Search Helicopter & Deploy Operative To Dangle Over Those Distressed Or Terrified

Now .... you do ess-oh-ess!

Angela

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2002, 01:15:56 PM »

>>> On 05 March 2002 22:45:30 UTC, Tony wrote:

Now .... you do ess-oh-ess!

If only Eight Seven Seven One were an understandable latitude & longitude...

Eight Seven Seven One! Hurry! Eight Seven Sev...

But since it isn't:

Encoded Scream Starts Off Harbourmaster's (or more generally, Hero's) Emergency Safety Strategy

Patricia

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2002, 04:19:52 AM »
>>> On 05 March 2002 22:45:30 UTC, Tony wrote:

Angela wrote:

> However, I'm not going to expand dotdotdotdashdashdashdotdotdot, since you didn't expand ess-oh-ess.

Okay....
Digital Operator Taps Distress Out To Direct Operations Towards Diverting All Shipping. Help During A Squall/Hurricane - Dispatch A Search Helicopter & Deploy Operative To Dangle Over Those Distressed Or Terrified

Time for me to go back down to the Minors! I know when I'm out of my League!

:o|

Tony

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2002, 06:07:20 AM »
Patricia wrote:

> Time for me to go back down to the Minors! I know when I'm out of my League!

Thank you for the compliment, but we are truly democratic and egalitarian here... no leagues or other divisive features.