Author Topic: "Real" acronyms  (Read 9091 times)

Edwin Hermann

"Real" acronyms
« on: July 05, 2000, 11:05:43 AM »
I reckon only "real" acronyms should be accepted.

By that I mean acronyms without the 'extra' words beginning with letters which don't appear in the word being acronymised.

For example, words like HABIT (Have A Big Interest in Tobacco?).  Spot the extra word.  Yeah, that ugly 'in'.  Grrrrr!!!!  Yukky.

I'm going to protest.... allow only real acronyms please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edwin.

Angela Brett

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2000, 12:09:24 AM »
If I could be bothered, I'd add an option in the stack to show only 'real' or 'pure' acronyms... and if I could write CGIs, I'd add some kind of search facility to these web pages with that option. But for now, you'll just have to smile smugly and feel extra smart for having created only 'real' acronyms. ;)

Tony McCoy O'Grady

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2000, 11:10:26 AM »
While I am sympathetic to your plea, "real" acronyms have historically included (or even excluded) surplus words.

LASER omits the initials of both 'by' and 'of'!
Try getting your tongue around LABSEOR

RADAR includes the letter 'a' from the word "Radio"! RADAR looks better than RDAR

There will regularly be a need for surplus words to help with an expansion.

My preference is that expansions suit the word involved, and aren't just a collection of words which (almost?) make sense but don't tell one anything about the acronym-word.

Edwin Hermann

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2001, 09:41:02 PM »
Now that you *can* write CGIs, will you make this change?  Or must I return your forums to sorting by thread created date?? :-)

>>> On 07 July 2000 00:09:24 NZST, Angela Brett wrote:

If I could be bothered, I'd add an option in the stack to show only 'real' or 'pure' acronyms... and if I could write CGIs, I'd add some kind of search facility to these web pages with that option. But for now, you'll just have to smile smugly and feel extra smart for having created only 'real' acronyms. ;)

Angela Brett

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2001, 10:13:04 PM »
Darn, my blackmailing techniques are backfiring. I  was actually working on the CGIs just moments ago, although not on that particular function.

At the moment, I'm concentrating on getting all the CGIs aware of the acronym categories - so that whenever an acronym is shown by a CGI there will be links to the acronym's category. I also want the search facility to be able to search the category names as well as the acronyms themselves.

When I've done that, I will add an option to search only 'pure' acronyms. Ooh, and if you'd kindly tell me how to get a C CGI to send an email, I might even add an acronym submission page. I've already written C code for checking an acronym's validity, for the Mac OS X stack-embryo, so it wouldn't be too difficult. Mind you, if people want to submit acronyms via the web it's probably best if they stick to using the forums. Maybe I should just write a CGI that will check an acronym's validity. In fact, that CGI could even rate the 'purity' of a valid acronym, based on the number of uncapitalised words. Maybe I should stop typing this rubbish and go back to actually improving the CGIs, like I was doing before.

By the way, has looking at the message list for this thread made you realise that perhaps, when the post is not from the current year, the year should be displayed in the message list? Hmm, I guess I've used up my bargaining power really, I wouldn't want the threads back to the old sorting method.

Gosh, making dynamic websites is fun. Hey Ed, is Hangman still around? Where did it go?

>>> On 06 August 2001 09:41:02 UTC, Edwin Hermann wrote:

Now that you *can* write CGIs, will you make this change?  Or must I return your forums to sorting by thread created date?? :-)

Edwin Hermann

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2001, 11:09:33 PM »

It will still sort correctly despite not displaying the year.  I wonder if I could change it so that it displays the year tho....

un.co.nz has disappeared off the web.  I still own the domain however.  I will resurect it in January.

>>> On 06 August 2001 10:13:04 UTC, Angela Brett wrote:

By the way, has looking at the message list for this thread made you realise that perhaps, when the post is not from the current year, the year should be displayed in the message list? Hmm, I guess I've used up my bargaining power really, I wouldn't want the threads back to the old sorting method.

Gosh, making dynamic websites is fun. Hey Ed, is Hangman still around? Where did it go?

Angela Brett

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2001, 07:16:11 PM »

How about putting hangman somewhere in the mean time, like hangman.www.co.nz. Any dyxlesic looking for a NZ hangman site would find it straight away!

I've done some more work on the acronyms CGIs, tonight I hope to have the option of searching in the category names. Once I've done that, I really will add the option of only showing 'pure' acronyms. And then I'll add a teensy bit more functionality to the Mac OS X acronym checker, and then I'll update the website. All in between playing games of Monopoly with Bill Gates and various other computer-controlled players. :)

>>> On 09 August 2001 11:09:33 UTC, Edwin Hermann wrote:

un.co.nz has disappeared off the web.  I still own the domain however.  I will resurect it in January.

Tony

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2001, 02:15:13 AM »
Angela Brett wrote:

Any dyxlesic looking for a NZ hangman site would find it straight away!

Any dyslexic trying to play hangman deserves kudos!

Angela Brett

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2001, 12:04:15 PM »
Good point! :^D Oh by the way, in case anyone's wondering why acronyms.co.nz hasn't worked for the last day or so, it's because the computer it's hosted on is being upgraded.

If you need a website to replace acronyms.co.nz in your daily browsing rituals, I've just been looking at http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~nhughes/dna/stories/soap.html, it's very amusing... as are the other pages linked from http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~nhughes/dna/stories/

>>> On 10 August 2001 14:15:13 UTC, Tony wrote:

Angela Brett wrote:

Any dyxlesic looking for a NZ hangman site would find it straight away!

Any dyslexic trying to play hangman deserves kudos!

Angela

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2004, 02:12:14 PM »
Well, Edwin, after more than two and a half years, you've got your wish. All pages which list apronyms except the search results now have the option of showing only 'perfect' apronyms... that is, ones with no uncapitalised words. As well as that, all those pages now have the option of showing apronyms in 'condensed' mode, a feature previously available only on apronymist pages. There is also a widget on these pages which allows you to jump directly to any page in the listing, or see an index page like the ones which were previously only on alphabetic listings.

Perhaps later I will adapt the hall of fame and honours list so that they can have the option to only take perfect apronyms into account.

Enjoy!

Edwin Hermann

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 04:14:25 PM »

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Call me a purist, but I *hate* acronyms with 'extra' words, or words that begin with "ex" disguised as words beginning with "x".

Thanks!  I like!

>>> On 24 April 2004 02:12:14 UTC, Angela wrote:

Well, Edwin, after more than two and a half years, you've got your wish. All pages which list apronyms except the search results now have the option of showing only 'perfect' apronyms... that is, ones with no uncapitalised words.

Angela

"Real" acronyms
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 05:26:41 PM »
Edwin is a purist! Edwin is a purist! I'm glad you like it. :)

The purity checker doesn't take 'ex' words disguised as X words (or C words turned into K words) into account as yet... it would be difficult to distinguish them from genuine X words without having a word list to consult. I'm sure I could find a word list somewhere but that seems a bit over-the-top just for this.