Author Topic: Meaningful acronyms  (Read 13721 times)

Paul

Meaningful acronyms
« on: February 05, 2003, 05:36:14 PM »
Does anyone know of the English term akin to Onomatopoeia (E.G. CRASH, BANG) that describes meaningful acronyms such as:

S.M.A.R.T. performance indicators
Q.U.E.S.T. beauty pageants

Edwin Hermann

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 10:25:17 PM »
If a word does not exist, I guess that gives you rights to invent one!  Then write in to Oxford English Dictionary and tell them you've coined the phrase or word and they might put in the dictionary.

>>> On 05 February 2003 04:36:14 UTC, Paul wrote:

Does anyone know of the English term akin to Onomatopoeia (E.G. CRASH, BANG) that describes meaningful acronyms such as:

Angela

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 08:41:59 AM »
I'm sure there is a word... and I really ought to know it since that sort of acronym is just what this site is about. Tony once suggested they be called aptonyms, so maybe someone should submit that to the lexicographers. It might be confused with the word 'aptronym' though. In fact, going by the google search I just did, it already is confused with aptronym.

Jeff Anonymous

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 12:21:31 PM »
I can tell why Tony suggested aptonym.  He wants his name up in the middle of it all.

The only thing I can think of is the clunky "apropos acronym."

>>> On 06 February 2003 19:41:59 UTC, Angela wrote:

I'm sure there is a word... and I really ought to know it since that sort of acronym is just what this site is about. Tony once suggested they be called aptonyms, so maybe someone should submit that to the lexicographers. It might be confused with the word 'aptronym' though. In fact, going by the google search I just did, it already is confused with aptronym.

Tony

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 12:54:56 PM »
Jeff Anonymous wrote:

> I can tell why Tony suggested aptonym.  He wants his name up in the middle of it all.

I hadn't noticed that 'tony' was in there, I was just conflating 'apt' and 'acronym'.

> The only thing I can think of is the clunky "apropos acronym."

While I still prefer aptonym, 'apronym' would be a nice conflation of 'apropriate/a propos' and 'acronym'.

Angela

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 07:45:00 PM »
>>> On 19 February 2003 23:54:56 UTC, Tony wrote:

While I still prefer aptonym, 'apronym' would be a nice conflation of 'apropriate/a propos' and 'acronym'.

>>> and I replied:

Another one which could be confused with aptronym... but this one only has an 'apron' in it. Better than a crony, mm?

Paul

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2003, 06:03:41 PM »

Thanks for everyone's replies.  I have to give a conference paper on 23 March.  I think I will run with apronym. The 'a propos' link is very attractive.

cheers

Paul

>>> On 20 February 2003 06:45:00 UTC, Angela wrote:

>>> On 19 February 2003 23:54:56 UTC, Tony wrote:

>>> and I replied:

Another one which could be confused with aptronym... but this one only has an 'apron' in it. Better than a crony, mm?

Tony

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2003, 11:27:52 PM »
Paul wrote:

> I have to give a conference paper on 23 March.  
> I think I will run with apronym.
> The 'a propos' link is very attractive.

Paul,
I don't knopw about the others on this site, but I would love to see your paper when you have delivered it. I'm curious to know what you might be talking about that you need to use this neologism. Even if you feel that you can't post the whole paper, you might post the relevant sections.
Thanks.

nhksjafj,as

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 12:05:34 PM »
hfjksjrbebfsjdfjekfkjsehfueejdjsdskjdjduewjsksnfcbnccmsmdjdiejkejfjkdjcfnx,m,zmznc,z..sjkdfieifkdhfjcmvcbvmwwkejhjkeoovm,x,xmcnvbrfjeifdkdnnvm,dlslfhkldhklsufhnejhkfiuehfhuhefjfjkdslkselkfhfhejldkelelkdfklfdkdfkdfikeioerikejikfjhnfnfdmjfhrkslkdjherinckdjfhriwowmdxbcnc dmdlwkd dkjlkwkdwkndjedikd dkwodjd djkwldldkowodkwodifiowjek,d,s,skxmsdkskwieujdfndkdlsld kjdkd dkdkld dkd dkkd kdksld ldepkdkodksodws jkowdjodwodoido pdopwdo owdjkfwujfdnwiopfw odwjidn  owjowdi widopj widj iw owujw iwdju oiwp fjdkduddalahskisllsn v,x,mfie foe;f oeffmdkdolfjfmfmdcc,dmdkjfjfkfgkglffjd kjfkfjgklfpfoeofmm m  kmfkdl,d9odlfk,cmdlfkdpeksd;dldkfmv  ,c,df  dkd dkfoe fkeofj jfoeojfjf jejdl jfjeld kls jfoipe oeof

Tony

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 12:10:12 PM »

>>> On 10 July 2003 00:05:34 UTC, nhksjafj,as wrote:

hfjksjrbebfsjdfjekfkjsehfueejdjsdskjdjduewjsksnfcbnccmsmdjdiejkejfjkdjcfnx,m,zmznc,z..sjkdfieifkdhfjcmvcbvmwwkejhjkeoovm,x,xmcnvbrfjeifdkdnnvm,dlslfhkldhklsufhnejhkfiuehfhuhefjfjkdslkselkfhfhejldkelelkdfklfdkdfkdfikeioerikejikfjhnfnfdmjfhrkslkdjherinckdjfhriwowmdxbcnc dmdlwkd dkjlkwkdwkndjedikd dkwodjd djkwldldkowodkwodifiowjek,d,s,skxmsdkskwieujdfndkdlsld kjdkd dkdkld dkd dkkd kdksld ldepkdkodksodws jkowdjodwodoido pdopwdo owdjkfwujfdnwiopfw odwjidn  owjowdi widopj widj iw owujw iwdju oiwp fjdkduddalahskisllsn v,x,mfie foe;f oeffmdkdolfjfmfmdcc,dmdkjfjfkfgkglffjd kjfkfjgklfpfoeofmm m  kmfkdl,d9odlfk,cmdlfkdpeksd;dldkfmv  ,c,df  dkd dkfoe fkeofj jfoeojfjf jejdl jfjeld kls jfoipe oeof

Well, it 'may' be an acronym - but it would be interesting to see if it is meaningful.

Angela

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 12:29:40 PM »
I'm not volunteering to expand it!

Hugh

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 01:27:46 PM »
English has the word onomatopoeia which, according to dictionary.com, is a "formation of words in imitation of sounds." For example, as you have given, "crash" "bang" or even "pow".

If, by "meaningful acronym" you mean an arrangement of letters abbreviating a phrase into a pronounceable word, the proper word to use in English is "acronym." An acronym, by DEFINITION, **MUST** be a pronounceable word. SNAFU, QANTAS, SMART, QUEST, these are all acronyms. Any other combination of letters abbreviating a phrase into gibberish is an ABBREVIATION.

The proposed term "apronym," if it made any linguistic and etymological sense, would be redundant at best. As it is, the proposed term is illogical and ungrammatical. Why, you ask? I'll tell you.

The proposed term "apronym" is purported to be a combination of "APROPOS" and "ACRONYM" meaning "APPROPRIATE ACRONYM." Nice work, if "APROPOS" were defined to mean "APPROPRIATE" which is most certainly is not. This is one of the most common blunders in the English language and is usually the result of someone trying to use a $25 word where an everyday, pedestrian word will do.

What does APROPOS mean, you ask? It comes to us from French and it means "with regard to." For example:

Apropos the discussion in this forum, methinks the participants are largely confused sixth graders who haven't yet figured out the English language.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Hugh
Defender of the English Language

>>> On 05 February 2003 04:36:14 UTC, Paul wrote:

Hugh

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 01:31:05 PM »

>>> On 10 July 2003 00:10:12 UTC, Tony wrote:

>>> On 10 July 2003 00:05:34 UTC, nhksjafj,as wrote:

Well, it 'may' be an acronym - but it would be interesting to see if it is meaningful.

--

As per my reply to the original post, your contribution is most certainly NOT an acronym. At least, I can't distinguish a pronunciation for it.

Hugh
Defender of the English Language

Angela

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 10:27:17 PM »
We are aware of the distinction between acronyms, abbreviations, and initialisms. Not all acronyms are apronyms, however... apronyms are not only pronounceable, but mean something relevant to what the letters stand for. That is why we came up with a more specific word.

I applaud your crusade to keep the English language from being corrupted. While I don't claim that my own English is perfect, I am often annoyed by misuse of the language myself.

My Chambers dictionary defines apropos as:

adv. to the purpose; appropriately; in reference to (with of); by the way, incidentally. adj. to the purpose, pertinent.

This fits the meaning you gave and also our 'incorrect' interpretation... 'appropriately' and 'pertinent' fit what we are trying to convey. If that is not good enough for you, just imagine the 'apro' is from appropriate.

I would look it up in my other dictionaries but I don't have them handy.

news-

Meaningful acronyms
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 07:39:02 AM »
<a href=> news</a>