Author Topic: ACRONYMISTS SHOULD BE HEARD AND NOT SEEN  (Read 8745 times)

Jeff

ACRONYMISTS SHOULD BE HEARD AND NOT SEEN
« on: July 18, 2001, 08:30:21 AM »
A Crisis Resonates On Newsgroup, Yup.  May I Suggest Trying Silence-Stopping Hellionism?  Okay.  "U, Listen, Dude!" Bark Evil Hellions, Excrutiatingly.  Art Returneth [this] Day.  Anyone Need Diversions?  Nice Original Terrors Seep.  Even En Nepal.

~in reference to the silence as of late, and my attempts to break it.

Angela Brett

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2001, 01:45:03 PM »
I've been silent because in an attack of motivation a few days ago, I began writing the code to implement the categorising of acronyms in the stack. It's all working (though it doesn't yet look very nice) so I'm now busy putting all the acronyms into categories and subcategories. Once that's all done I'll get the stack to generate web pages reflecting the new categorisation, and people will be able to browse the acronyms by category, which I think will be much better than looking through the alphabetical lists.

It's quite interesting just seeing some of the bizarre categories I have to make, and every so often there's an acronym which doesn't fit anywhere. I've made sure that it's easy to move acronyms and subcategories around, and put acronyms in more than one category, so if there turns out to be a better way of organising them it'll be easy to change the categorisation. There might be a lot of discussion in these forums about different ways to categorise the acronyms, I don't expect that they'll all stay in the categories I put them for very long.

Anyway, Jeff, I will be adding the acronym in the subject and your UA acronyms (although probably not 'Urky Acronymist.') I'll make sure that I put one of yours in first rather than my one, since it was your idea. But we'll be first-equal for the honour anyway. At the moment I have quite a lot of acronyms to put into the stack, but I'm not going to put them in there until I've done all the categorising, since I don't think that will take me an enormous amount of time to complete so I'm sure the next update can wait until then.

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2001, 03:29:13 PM »
Eenteresting...wery eenteresting.  And hey, why not stick in "Urky Acronymist?"  It isn't for the honor, so the half-cheat shouldn't be a problem.  Oh, and a suggestion...how about somehow getting a Windows version of the stack done?  Sometimes I don't want to have to wrestle with the site...

Angela Brett

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2001, 03:20:25 PM »

>>> On 18 July 2001 03:29:13 UTC, Jeff wrote:

Eenteresting...wery eenteresting.  And hey, why not stick in "Urky Acronymist?"  It isn't for the honor, so the half-cheat shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, alright.

Oh, and a suggestion...how about somehow getting a Windows version of the stack done?  Sometimes I don't want to have to wrestle with the site...

I thought you said there was a way of viewing HyperCard stacks on Windows. I don't have the tools to develop for Windows except for completely text-based programs, but if someone else out there wants to make a Windows version of it they're welcome to. If I'm going to re-write the stack at the moment, it will be to make a version which runs natively in Mac OS X.

If you really want a crude text-based version of the stack for Windows, it probably wouldn't take an enormous amount of time for me to make, but it would be a low-priority project. The finished product would be able to be compiled for other operating systems such as Linux, but the text interface would be reminiscent of MS DOS. I really would rather not do it, because someone with the tools to write Windoze GUI programs could make a version with a much nicer interface in not much more time. If you happen to have a web server on your computer which can run CGIs, you could probably use the 'online stack' interface without me having to change much of the code at all. But I wouldn't be able to test it.

But you don't want that... C'mon, admit it, you want a Mac. :^)

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2001, 06:35:24 AM »
I would want a mac if I didn't have thousands of dollars worth of Windows software.  Alas, none of that includes Access, or I'd whip up a database for ye acronyms.

Angela Brett

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2001, 12:00:47 PM »
Well, there are programs you could use to download this whole website if you wanted to browse the acronyms offline. But I could make it easier for you... would it make you happy if I made all of the acronym list pages available for download in a single compressed file? I'd only update that file when the stack was updated, and only on the condition that when you have some excess money you get a Mac. ;)

>>> On 21 July 2001 18:35:24 UTC, Jeff wrote:

I would want a mac if I didn't have thousands of dollars worth of Windows software.  Alas, none of that includes Access, or I'd whip up a database for ye acronyms.

Jeff

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2001, 02:27:12 PM »
It's okay...I have cable internet.  just seeing if a more localized thing could be done, silly me.  philanthropic spell or somethingoranother.  I need to expland SOMETHINGORANOTHER.

Angela

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 12:29:54 PM »
I've been going through the old threads and deleting some to save space on Ed's webserver. I found this one... Jeff, have you expanded it yet?

>>> On 22 July 2001 02:27:12 UTC, Jeff wrote:

It's okay...I have cable internet.  just seeing if a more localized thing could be done, silly me.  philanthropic spell or somethingoranother.  I need to expland SOMETHINGORANOTHER.

Tony

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 10:52:32 PM »
Angela wrote:

I've been going through the old threads and deleting some to save space on Ed's webserver. I found this one... Jeff, have you expanded it yet?

I doubt it. after all this time. :-)

But on the subject of saving space, I'm about to go broadband, as soon as the server gets its act together and will probably be offered webspace. As i don't intend having a personal website, I could host a "ded thred' site.

How much space are we talking about?

Jeff

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 05:58:35 AM »
Nopers.  I've been slacking off lately.  I'll go through some failed searches today, as I was on vacation recently and probably missed quite a few.

Angela

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 08:33:33 AM »
A few MB.

I have plenty of web space (at least, Liz has not started hinting I should use less space on her server.) The problem is the forum program only runs on Edwin's server, or at least, he only wants it to be running on his server.

I intend to write my own forums, so that they can be hosted on apronyms.com and won't need to use anyone else's web space. I will probably finish the OS X app first though. I've been making some progress on that lately after it had about 20 months in stasis, good enough for me to add apronyms to to update the site but not good enough for release.

The next generation Apronyms forums will probably have apronym-specific features, such as the ability to link to apronyms by doing <THIS>. ('Tis Here, I Say)

>>> On 26 July 2003 10:52:32 UTC, Tony wrote:

But on the subject of saving space, I'm about to go broadband, as soon as the server gets its act together and will probably be offered webspace. As i don't intend having a personal website, I could host a "ded thred' site.

How much space are we talking about?