Author Topic: Acronymous Anonymous  (Read 14524 times)

Tony

Acronymous Anonymous
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2003, 09:05:18 PM »
Rachel Park wrote:

FOB=Fresh Off Boat

Welcome, Raqchel.
Could you tell us what you're thinking of here.... what is 'fresh'... imported produce or 'innocent' new arrivals in town.
This sounds to me like it could be quite an old expression, possibly dating back to the late 19th or early 20th century and the times of mass migration.

Does the 'hyper' part of your email address have any relation to HyperCard?

Angela

Acronymous Anonymous
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 04:04:03 PM »
Hey, the forum(s) is/are working again!

Does anyone think these Acronymous Anonymous apronyms should be added to the main site? I'm starting to

rethink my initial objections. While I still don't want to be spending time scouring the internet for

anonymous apronyms, it might seem kind of petty that the largest apronym website does not have the ones

which are most commonly known. Maybe I should start accepting any such apronyms which are submitted,

instead of directing the submitters to this thread.

At least then all these apronyms will be associated with the term 'apronym' and not just acronym or

backronym.

What do you think?

Tony

Acronymous Anonymous
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 05:37:07 PM »
Angela wrote:

> Does anyone think these Acronymous Anonymous apronyms should be added to the main site? I'm starting to rethink my initial objections.
> While I still don't want to be spending time scouring the internet for anonymous apronyms, it might seem kind of petty that the largest apronym website does not have the ones which are most commonly known.
> Maybe I should start accepting any such apronyms which are submitted, instead of directing the submitters to this thread.
> At least then all these apronyms will be associated with the term 'apronym' and not just acronym or backronym.
> What do you think?

Quantity versus Quality - I don't know, I suppose I can see both points of view. We don't want just any old rubbish but then I dislike censorship :-(

Angela

Acronymous Anonymous
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 06:34:21 PM »
>>> On 08 July 2003 05:37:07 UTC, Tony wrote:

Quantity versus Quality - I don't know, I suppose I can see both points of view. We don't want just any old rubbish but then I dislike censorship :-(

It wouldn't be 'any old rubbish' in that it would only extend to common/anonymous apronyms, not ordinary acronyms or initialisms.

Angela

Acronymous Anonymous
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2003, 02:21:17 PM »
This one was submitted for TEAM:

Together Everyone Achieves More

It has more than 6000 Google results so I'm guessing it's not by the person who submitted it.

TeamOfNymists? Yes!

Acronymous Anonymous
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2003, 06:23:34 PM »
Angela wrote:

> This one was submitted for TEAM:
> Together Everyone Achieves More

> It has more than 6000 Google results so I'm guessing it's not by the person who submitted it.

They're Emulating A Master?

Do you Google-check all entries, or just the ones that seem too good to be new/true

AmNowGooglingExpansionsLookingAnonymous

Acronymous Anonymous
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2003, 07:44:07 PM »

>>> On 27 July 2003 06:23:34 UTC, TeamOfNymists? Yes! wrote:
Do you Google-check all entries, or just the ones that seem too good to be new/true

I check most apronyms by new contributors (i.e, people who might not realise that such apronyms won't be accepted.) Also any which seem familiar -- I've seen the car- and computer-related ones a lot.

slambo

Acronymous Anonymous
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2003, 06:49:15 AM »
Here's one I heard last week...

BUFFET - Bunch of Ugly Fat Fellows Eating Together.