Author Topic: Vague Rambling  (Read 7316 times)

Gavin Lambert

Vague Rambling
« on: December 14, 2001, 11:42:48 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I did a search for ACRONYM.  I found that you don't have my favourite definition (I didn't write this one, and I don't know who did, so don't credit me if you decide to include it):

Abbreviated Coded Rendition of Name Yielding Meaning

But that prompted me to come up with my own original one, so here it is:
  All Concealed, Revealed Only Now You Meditate

What do you think? :)

Angela Brett

Vague Rambling
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2001, 12:34:42 AM »
Here is the 'official' policy on acronyms by anonymous authors, from http://acronyms.co.nz/guidelines.html:

Don't send lists of acronyms which you've found somewhere else on the internet - I know there are some out there but I'd prefer it if the ACRONYMS stack were preserved for the people who want to be in it. Otherwise I could spend hours scouring the internet for acronyms and the stack would become more about compilation than composition. A few common acronyms of this nature have already been included, back when the stack was smaller - but no more will be accepted, unless they are especially good.

There is a thread on these forums called 'Acronymous Anonymous' where people can post such acronyms though - I really should mention that in the guidelines, actually.

Anyway, perhaps that one is 'especially good' - it certainly gets points for being an expansion of ACRONYM itself. I'll think about it. I'll probably not get any closer to making a decision, but I'll think about it nevertheless. Sometimes I think I think too much, but I stop thinking that in an effort to remedy the problem. ;)

As for your ACRONYM, I rather like it. In the interests of increasing the number of regular contributors to this site, I have to say that I think it is a sign of many great acronyms to come. It also buys you one month's subscription* to the  sporadic mailouts of THE ACRONYM TIMES**, if you want it.

------------------

Footscum (er... footnotes, actually - it's a long story which I've mostly forgotten, something to do with Bill Gates' henchmen and hairs where they shouldn't be)

------------------

* subscription fee of one acronym per month is purely voluntary, as other subscribers tend to overpay.

** See http://acronyms.co.nz/cgi-bin/gonym?THE+ACRONYM+TIMES for an expansion, or search for 'the acronym times' (without the quotes) on the front page to get all of them.

Gavin Lambert

Vague Rambling
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2001, 04:06:39 PM »
<<<<<
Here is the 'official' policy on acronyms by anonymous authors, from http://acronyms.co.nz/guidelines.html:

Don't send lists of acronyms which you've found somewhere else on the internet - I know there are some out there but I'd prefer it if the ACRONYMS stack were preserved for the people who want to be in it.
>>>>>

I did read that, and I have no intention of just regurgitating lists of other people's acronyms.  I just thought that one sounded particularly interesting (and I've had it in my own 'interesting phrases' list for several years now, so it's been around for a while) :)  That's one of the reasons why I quite firmly said that I didn't want credit for it, since it's not mine.  But I have no doubt that it can also be found in other acronym archives, too.

<<<<<
Anyway, perhaps that one is 'especially good' - it certainly gets points for being an expansion of ACRONYM itself. I'll think about it. I'll probably not get any closer to making a decision, but I'll think about it nevertheless. Sometimes I think I think too much, but I stop thinking that in an effort to remedy the problem. ;)
>>>>>

I know the feeling - I often think I'm thinking too much, but then I think that thinking I'm thinking too much is also thinking too much.  And then I think that thinking too much about ... or maybe I just go (more) insane.
  Recursion (n): see Recursion.

<<<<<
As for your ACRONYM, I rather like it. In the interests of increasing the number of regular contributors to this site, I have to say that I think it is a sign of many great acronyms to come. It also buys you one month's subscription* to the  sporadic mailouts of THE ACRONYM TIMES**, if you want it.
>>>>>

Sure, sounds interesting :)  Though I'm not sure how regular I could be - for some reason I find it harder to use web-based boards than newsgroups or mailing lists.

Angela Brett

Vague Rambling
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2001, 08:08:09 PM »
I said:

<<<<<
>>>>>

And now I'm adding: Well, my own thinking doesn't always resolve to decisions, but a push from outside usually helps. I think I will add that ACRONYM, next time... I'm uploading updated pages right now and I'm just about to send out THE ACRONYM TIMES. I hope you enjoy your first issue! Just so you don't get put off... it's not usually as long. :)

Gavin said:

Recursion (n): see Recursion.

And then I said:
Hehe... Rob Rix, a friend of mine who has also posted on these forums, often says things like that.

Gavin also said:
Sure, sounds interesting :)  Though I'm not sure how regular I could be - for some reason I find it harder to use web-based boards than newsgroups or mailing lists.

And to that, I replied:
Being an acronymaniac does not need to have anything to do with these forums. THE ACRONYM TIMES is sent out by email, and if you happen to come up with any acronyms you can send them to ...@....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:29:50 PM by Apronyms »

Jeff Anonymous

Vague Rambling
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2001, 07:17:55 AM »
<gavin>
Sure, sounds interesting :)  Though I'm not sure how regular I could be - for some reason I find it harder to use web-based boards than newsgroups or mailing lists.
</gavin>

...@... (I think) will process your acronyms, though the forum tends to attract more comments and laughable counteracronyms.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:29:04 PM by Apronyms »

Angela

Vague Rambling
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2001, 09:17:17 AM »
<Jaff> ...@... (I think) will process your acronyms, </Jeff>

<Me> You thought correctly. ...@... goes to our busy team of acronym processors - Me!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:30:13 PM by Apronyms »

Jaff T. Anonymous

Vague Rambling
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2001, 04:38:19 AM »
Just Angela's Freaky Falilure.

Engela

Vague Rambling
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2001, 10:57:55 AM »
If only there were HTML syntax highlighting in all text fields, I'd have known that the jaff wasn't closed and the /jeff wasn't opened. :)

I've misspelled my name in pennance.

Tiny

Vague Rambling
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2001, 01:52:38 PM »
Is this a private misspelling, or can anyone join in?

I thought he was turning into a little Orangeman - a mini-Jaffa.