Author Topic: About these forums  (Read 12388 times)

Angela Brett

About these forums
« on: July 04, 2000, 04:08:53 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the ACRONYMS forums.

You can use these forums for discussing acronyms - whether it's asking for improvements to your own acronyms, suggesting improvements on others, asking for or providing explanations of acronyms, suggesting improvements to this site or the HyperCard stack, or anything else to do with acronyms. Have fun!

Tony

About these forums
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2001, 09:42:17 AM »
Angela Brett wrote:

Will anyone notice this reply to a very old post? If the threads were sorted by date it woul dbe obvious.

Angela Brett

About these forums
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2001, 11:08:15 PM »
I noticed, eventually! If the threads were sorted by date, the thread still would have been right at the top where it is now, but people would notice it.

I might have to begin another round of pestering Edwin. :^D

>>> On 18 May 2001 21:42:17 UTC, Tony wrote:

Angela Brett wrote:

Will anyone notice this reply to a very old post? If the threads were sorted by date it woul dbe obvious.

Edwin Hermann

About these forums
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2001, 10:15:43 PM »
Okay, all done!!

>>> On 18 June 2001 11:08:15 UTC, Angela Brett wrote:

I noticed, eventually! If the threads were sorted by date, the thread still would have been right at the top where it is now, but people would notice it.

I might have to begin another round of pestering Edwin. :^D

>>> On 18 May 2001 21:42:17 UTC, Tony wrote:

Angela Brett wrote:

Tony

About these forums
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2001, 06:50:07 AM »
>>> On 27 June 2001 10:15:43 UTC, Edwin Hermann wrote:

Okay, all done!!

... and very nicely, too. Thank you. Mind you, when I logged on just now it took me totally by surprise, as I have always scrolled down to the bottom of the page as soon as it opened.

Edwin Hermann

About these forums
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2001, 09:07:21 AM »
Not sure why I'm telling you this, but these forums are now able to be sorted in for ways:

1.  First post, ascending (this is how it was)
2.  First post, descending
3.  Last post, ascending
4.  Last post, descending (this is how it is now)

Can anyone think of any other ways of sorting the threads?

Ooh, I've just thought of one now - alphabetically (both ascending and descending).  Probably not that useful, but still a way of doing it.

Any other ways??  Let's put our thinking caps on.

Angela Brett

About these forums
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2001, 10:33:33 AM »
You're right, alphabetically wouldn't be very useful. But if you could do it really easily, I guess you might as well do that anyway.

I'm sure there are other bizarre ways of sorting... like sorting by the number of posts, or by the backwards email address of the third poster. Sorting by the number of posts might actually be interesting, but I think that it'd only be a sort order which the occasional viewer might want to see, and not something which should be happening all the time.

I'll have to change my templates so that there's always a link to this thread at the top. But first, I'll make that snapshot you wanted.

Tony

About these forums
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2001, 06:14:28 AM »
>>> On 27 June 2001 21:07:21 UTC, Edwin Hermann wrote:

Not sure why I'm telling you this, but these forums are now able to be sorted in for ways:

3.  Last post, ascending

How about sorting by b*llsh*t content?  ;-)

I'm happy with the present arrangement. The most-recently-posted-to thread should be at the top of the list. This will ensure that, as more new threads are added, the our-of-date stuff soon falls of the edge of the world.

Alphabetical sorting would lead us to the irresistable urge to compete for first and last threads - it's what we do!

Angela Brett

About these forums
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2001, 08:31:44 PM »
After replying to Tony's question in the 'Why?' thread, I realised that this introduction could do with some more information. There are four things which people should know other than what's in the original message (quoted below) and they are:

1) These forums are part of the ACRONYMS website, at http://acronyms.co.nz. If you somehow found these forums other than through that website, you should go and have a look at it. These discussions might make more sense to you if you do. There are no guarantees that these discussions make sense at all, however. ;)

2) You can also use these forums for submitting acronyms to the aforementioned website (and associated HyperCard stack.) If you post acronyms here instead of just sending them to submissions@acronyms.co.nz, the other people who use these forums can comment on or be inspired by them and maybe help you to improve the acronyms before they're actually added to the website. You could even post a fragment of an acronym and ask for help finishing it.

3) Be nice. It's okay to constructively criticise but don't just insult people. Everyone's been nice so far, and I expect people will continue to be, but I'd better tell you to be nevertheless. If too many people get nasty I will have to make these forums moderated, which means you'll have to register to be able to post on the forums and there will be a delay before what you post actually gets put up. Or at least, I think that's how it works, I didn't pay much attention when Edwin told me about that feature, because I don't want to do that.

4) These forums are kindly provided by Edwin Hermann. He often improves the forums when people suggest ways they could be made better, so if you have an idea for improving the forums don't hesitate to mention it in a forum thread somewhere, along with some chocolate or something as a bribe. Oh, and he'll let you have forums like this on your own website, for a small fee - visit http://poll.co.nz/forums.html for more information.

>>> On 04 July 2000 16:08:53 NZST, Angela Brett wrote:

You can use these forums for discussing acronyms - whether it's asking for improvements to your own acronyms, suggesting improvements on others, asking for or providing explanations of acronyms, suggesting improvements to this site or the HyperCard stack, or anything else to do with acronyms. Have fun!

Hyper Pete

About these forums
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2002, 05:04:47 AM »
eEarly a year ago this thread became inactive.

Here are more crass/useless suggestions on how to sort:

< Number of characters in post
< Number of responses to post
< Number of times post has been read
< Highest / lowest percentage of letter "E" in post (Most common letter in English Language)

Since I am new, I hope you understand that I present these options tongue in cheek (There's good acronym bait) just for the nonsensical enjoyment of doing so.

I'll probably visit you here on and off until my grey matter become acro-saturated...

>>> On 29 June 2001 18:14:28 UTC, Tony wrote:

>>> On 27 June 2001 21:07:21 UTC, Edwin Hermann wrote:

3.  Last post, ascending

How about sorting by b*llsh*t content?  ;-)

I'm happy with the present arrangement. The most-recently-posted-to thread should be at the top of the list. This will ensure that, as more new threads are added, the our-of-date stuff soon falls of the edge of the world.

Alphabetical sorting would lead us to the irresistable urge to compete for first and last threads - it's what we do!

Jon Barker

About these forums
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 02:10:55 PM »
Angela - I haven't laughed so much for ages - loved (truly) your only slightly bizarre webpages esp the story about your lime coloured MAC from Steve!

May I try my first hand at an apronym (all purpose oxymoron name you make!) I read you have several 'pot'(s) already but here's a new one: POT = piece of terracotta!!

Hope you like it 'cos I love wordplay and am happy to 'waste' time another (too) late night to make up some more.  (MORE = mainly 'orizontal rainy expanse)!  My spelling's orefull!
Best... Jon (Reading, Berks. UK)

Tony

About these forums
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 07:04:15 AM »
Angela,

I think we need a second thread under this one. Something which is explained by it's thead name - such as "If you want an acronym created for you, please start a new thread."

In the body of the posting you could say that we would like people to give us as much information as possible about their requirements - we can't have too many words to work with.

Just a thought.

Angela

About these forums
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 11:33:47 PM »
Good idea, most people other than us who post here want help creating an apronym. I'll do that when I get home.

We already have your tips on how to create an apronym, perhaps we also need tips on how to get other people to create an apronym for you. :^) C'est l'âge de la flemme.

Tony

About these forums
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 01:19:24 AM »
Angela wrote:

> C'est l'âge de la flemme.

I had to look that up. The translation widget didn't know the word. It gave me "It is the age of the flemme".

It reminds me of a sarcastic chemistry teacher I had many years ago whose constant cry to those whom he considered to be slackers was "Laziness, did I ever offend thee?"

Angela

About these forums
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 10:03:13 AM »
Hmm... the thread name idea didn't quite work out, due to the truncation. Aah well, it's there now. Now I just have to stick it to the top of the page with duct tape and Velcro, just a minute...