Author Topic: What people are looking for (the last such thread?)  (Read 7050 times)

Angela

What people are looking for (the last such thread?)
« on: July 13, 2002, 02:08:56 PM »
Very soon I hope to finish another CGI which will present the unsuccessful searches. It won't quite be automatic - the search engine records unsuccessful searches automatically but each day I will remove any obscene searches  or ones which are nonsensical strings of letters not fit to be expanded before adding them to the list to be shown. That may spell and end to the 'what people are looking for' threads but hopefully that won't stop conversations on the forums.

I intend that using the submission form to submit and expansion for an unsuccessful search will automatically remove that search from the list. Posting an expansion on the forums will mean I'll have to manually remove the unsuccessful search term, but please don't let that put you off posting on the forums if you need help with an acronym or you think it could lead to interesting discussion.

I'm considering making acronyms which have been submitted (but not yet accepted and added to the rest of the site) available on an automatically-generated web page, but I'm not sure about that as the acronyms could be completely nonsensical (submitted just to annoy) or obscene. Perhaps I will make such a page accessible only to selected Acronyms 'staff' who would be allowed to email the contributors with comments.

Anyway, here is possibly the last list of what people are looking for to be posted on the forums:

DEALERSHIP
SANDY
HARLEY DAVIDSON
SAME DAY PROCESSING
KARIN
SUSAN
BRAVO
LAUGHING MY ASS OFF
EAT OUT
CHILL
DANCE
SHIMMER
SURGERY
MUSCLE
PLAYER
BRUNO
JEANNE

SHOVE IT - Some Have Overly Violent Extremes In Temper

Ooh, I just had an idea, the submission form could have a menu or two for suggested categories that the acronym should be added to. It would make the page take longer to load though.

It should mention that if you know of a commonly known, anonymously created (but still in the same vein as the rest on the site) acronym that it should be posted on the Acronymous Anonymous thread on the forums. That would be good because I get quite a few emailed submissions of such acronyms.

So many ideas! I don't know whether to work on the site, version 3.3 of the stack, or the OS X version!

Tony

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2002, 08:37:55 PM »
Angela wrote:

> SHOVE IT - Some Have Overly Violent Extremes In Temper

More 'on-topic' would be this which made me laugh rudely :-)

Suggest Handy Opening's Very Enticing - Insert This!

Tony

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2002, 12:37:28 AM »
Angela wrote:

SANDY
Sunbathe Among Natural Dunes, Yes?

SAME DAY PROCESSING
'Snaps' Are Magically, Expressly, Developed And (Yes) Printed Rapidly. Our Computer Ensures Shoddy Shot In Not Generated

SUSAN
She's Utterly Sensual - And Nubile!

BRAVO
Beg Repeat - Audience's Vehement Ovation

EAT OUT
Enjoy A Treat Occasionally, Untried Trattoria?

CHILL
Cool Hurriedly In Low-temperature Location

DANCE
Display A Novel Choreography Effect

SHIMMER
Sunny Haze Implies Motion - Mirage Effect Really

MUSCLE
My Unique Skeleton Clearly Lacks Enhancement

PLAYER
Person lLmbers-up And, Yes, Endures Recreation

Angela

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 10:52:13 PM »
Unsuccessful searches are now listed at http://acronyms.co.nz/cgi-bin/searches. As yet submitting an acronym for one of them will not remove it from the list automatically, but I will update the list daily since it's just a matter of removing lines from another file on the server.

Tony

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 10:38:31 AM »
Angela wrote:

> Unsuccessful searches are now listed at http://acronyms.co.nz/cgi-bin/searches.

Been There, Done That!
Could you add a button on the "Thank You' screen to return one to the unsuccessful searches page, or better still (maybe?) allwo a short wait at the Thank You screen before bringing one back to where one came from - either the general submission page or the unsuccessful search page?

Angela

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 01:28:57 PM »

>>> On 15 July 2002 22:38:31 UTC, Tony wrote:

Could you add a button on the "Thank You' screen to return one to the unsuccessful searches page, or better still (maybe?) allwo a short wait at the Thank You screen before bringing one back to where one came from - either the general submission page or the unsuccessful search page?

Hmm... I guess I could add another button next to the 'Submit Another Acronym' button which returns to the unsuccessful search list if that's how you got to the submission form - or perhaps all the time. It's not quite as simple as it sounds because it means the thank you page would have to know whether you got there from the unsuccessful searches page, but nevertheless it's still not too difficult.

Alternatively, I could add a link to the normal submission page saying that if you want to acronymise but need some inspiration, you can go to the unsuccessful searches page. That would mean it takes two clicks to get back to the unsuccessful searches page instead of one though, so it'd be little better than using the browser's back button.

Maybe nezt to 'Submit another acronym' there could always be a button 'Expand an unsuccessful search' which would go to the unsuccessful search page. The only problem with that is that it mightn't make much sense to people who haven't seen the unsuccessful searches page yet.

Tony

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 07:53:52 PM »
????July 2002 01:28:57 UTC, Angela wrote:

Maybe nezt to 'Submit another acronym' there could always be a button 'Expand an unsuccessful search' which would go to the unsuccessful search page. The only problem with that is that it mightn't make much sense to people who haven't seen the unsuccessful searches page yet.

This is true, but then life doesn't always make sense!  ;-)

On another point. I have used the Submission facility several times now and have not recieved an email. I don't need one, but maybe others might like to get one, if one is promised.

Angela

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2002, 08:40:11 PM »

>>> On 16 July 2002 07:53:52 UTC, Tony wrote:

On another point. I have used the Submission facility several times now and have not recieved an email. I don't need one, but maybe others might like to get one, if one is promised.

There is no automated email reply, so you don't get an email until I've read the acronyms. I have read them, but normally I wouldn't actually get them until tomorrow. The submission form saves submissions in a file and emails them to me at midnight every night, so that I won't end up getting too many emails from it. I was wondering whether to send you an email or not - I thought I'd better since I promised one but now that you've said you don't need one, I won't. :) If you were to get an email you wouldn't get it until my tomorrow.

Tony

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2002, 09:41:26 PM »
Angela wrote:

>  If you were to get an email you wouldn't get it until my tomorrow.

But it was my day-before-yesterday when I sent in my submission!  

This is getting very confusing;-)