Author Topic: Don't panic  (Read 9688 times)

Angela Brett

Don't panic
« on: September 23, 2002, 12:43:59 PM »
A lot of the dynamic content on the site is currently broken, so if you get internal server errors or pages of rubbish, don't panic. I know what the problem is and I will fix it when I get home. The search engine, submission form and unsuccessful searches work, but anything else in cgi-bin probably doesn't.

Call it a lack of foresight or a stupid mistake if you like, but not within range of my fists. (I'm joking!)

Tony

Don't panic
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 07:54:51 PM »
Angela Brett wrote:

> ....don't panic.....

Depress One's Natural Thoughts, Please. Angela's Nearly In Control

Tony

Don't panic
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 06:31:19 AM »
Tony wrote:

> Angela Brett wrote:
>> ....don't panic.....

> Depress One's Natural Thoughts, Please. Angela's Nearly In Control

I'LL PANIC IF I WANT TO
In Life's Less Pleasant Accidents, Natural Inclination Causes Intense Frustration. Individual Witters About, Not Thinking Things Out
:-)

Angela

Don't panic
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 09:35:36 AM »

>>> On 25 September 2002 18:31:19 UTC, Tony wrote:

I'LL PANIC IF I WANT TO
In Life's Less Pleasant Accidents, Natural Inclination Causes Intense Frustration. Individual Witters About, Not Thinking Things Out
:-)

Brilliant! But trust me, YOU DON'T WANT TO PANIC.

Oh sorry, the acronym machine is malfunctioning, I fed that expansion in and this came out:

YOU DON'T WANT TO DRINK THAT

Years Of Underaged Drinking Only Numbs The Wit, And Needs Toughness To Overcome. Dignity Remains In Not Knowing The Hard Ale's Taste.

I'm not sure whether to replace Toughness with Tenacity and/or Ale with Alcohol - I think Ale somehow fits more nicely but it's not as broad.

Well, things which are less broad usually do fit in narrow spaces more easily!

Tony

Don't panic
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2002, 10:22:02 AM »
Angela wrote:

> trust me, YOU DON'T WANT TO PANIC.

> Oh sorry, the acronym machine is malfunctioning,

Your brain could do the expanding, surely....

YOU DON'T WANT TO PANIC
Youthful Ominiscience Usually Doesn't 'Own' Negative Thinking - When Accidents (Needless Things) Threaten One's Parents Advise Not Ignoring Caution.

[I'm not sure what, exactly, that conveys - it is 'meant' to convey that in an emergency young people can panic because they don't see that negative thinking tends to rule out caution, which older people see as a good thing. (I think)}

Angela

Don't panic
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2002, 12:14:19 PM »
>>> On 25 September 2002 22:22:02 UTC, Tony wrote:

Angela wrote:

> trust me, YOU DON'T WANT TO PANIC.

> Oh sorry, the acronym machine is malfunctioning,

Your brain could do the expanding, surely....

Let me expand on the subject of the ACRONYM MACHINE...

Angela's Cerebum Routinely Outputs New (You Might Suggest, 'Magnificent') Acronyms. Creative Helper Is Not Electronic!

See pictures of the acronym machine at http://acronyms.co.nz/brain

Angela

Don't panic
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2002, 01:02:52 PM »

I said:

Let me expand on the subject of the ACRONYM MACHINE...

Angela's Cerebum Routinely Outputs New (You Might Suggest, 'Magnificent') Acronyms. Creative Helper Is Not Electronic!

But I added an extra word, so I'll change it to:

Angela's Cerebum Routinely Outputs New (Yes, Maybe Magnificent) Acronyms. Creative Helper Is Not Electronic!

Hmm, maybe I'll work on one for 'Macnificent'

Tony

Don't panic
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2002, 08:04:54 PM »
Angela wrote:

> Hmm, maybe I'll work on one for 'Macnificent'

MACNIFICENT
My Apple Computer's Now Incredibly Fast. It Crunches Extraordinary Numbers Tirelessly

Angela

Don't panic
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 01:37:04 AM »
Again, don't panic... nothing within acronyms.co.nz/cgi-bin works at the moment, that includes the search form, acronym submission form, random acronym, online stack and more. But although I initially thought I had, I have not actually deleted the entire cgi-bin. It's still there, just hiding. :) Hopefully my sister will fix it when she wakes up.

I deleted all the alphabetic and category listings on the site as well. Deliberately! The URLs still work though... try http://acronyms.co.nz/A.html or http://acronyms.co.nz/computers/ or any of the other URLs of pages which no longer exist.

I should have known that if I deleted almost everything on the site at 1a.m, I'd accidentally delete something crucial like cgi-bin.

Angela

Don't panic
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 08:26:49 AM »
I wasn't setting a very good example.

As I got into bed after posting that message I realised what the problem was, and that things would magically become alright again within fifteen minutes.

So anyway, most of the site has been updated with new acronyms. Tonight I'll make the little pages like the hall of fame etc and then you'll get The Acronym Times in your inboxes. Won't that be nice?

The panic is over, and so are the days of waiting for the stack to make the web pages, or, for the rest of you, waiting until I can be bothered to get the stack to make the web pages. :)

Tony

Don't panic
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 12:13:37 PM »

I DIDN'T PANIC AT ALL

Irish Dummy Is Definitely Nit-witted - The Problem Angela Noted Is Conspicuously Absent - Tony Again Languishes Lazily